Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:12 pm 

Read this!

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProt ... air_w.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:44 am 

dude it's another bit of red tape for small workshops to cut through.

it doesn't mean a home mechanic can't work on their own car - are the pits guys going to seriously ask for every repairer's receipt now when presented with a car? i highly doubt it. and if they do, just get a shop to "Certify" the works.

it does mean, however, that this could flow onto cars with stickers - only a registered repair business may be able to fix the "problems" - but it doesn't say it yet.

the act has been around since 2003.

***OUT OF ACTION***

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:37 pm 

My mates had to go thru all this bull just recently. He was of the opinion that it would lead to tighter regulation fo the 'aftermarket soup-up' parts. Given that a lot of these components void the ADR's, they could potentionally go back to the mechanic that fitted the part and pull his license, which you now legally require to perform work on vehicles. It also regulates the industry a bit more, I know of tyre fitters running mechanical workshops, that's not to say they don't know about mechanics, but it would certainly give the customer piece of mind, knowing that their car is being worked on someone who's done the poper ticket.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:31 am 
Site Admin

Only applies to businesses, not private individuals. So if your fixing your mates car it doesn't apply I guess.

Looks like they gave a 5 year period for business to get used to it, now they can start enforcing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:36 am 

Boyracer wrote:
My mates had to go thru all this bull just recently. He was of the opinion that it would lead to tighter regulation fo the 'aftermarket soup-up' parts. Given that a lot of these components void the ADR's, they could potentionally go back to the mechanic that fitted the part and pull his license, which you now legally require to perform work on vehicles. It also regulates the industry a bit more, I know of tyre fitters running mechanical workshops, that's not to say they don't know about mechanics, but it would certainly give the customer piece of mind, knowing that their car is being worked on someone who's done the poper ticket.
yeah but most "tuning shops" have a disclamer on their invoice that goes something like this:
"the modifiications for this vehicle are solely for use offroad/racetrack conditions and are not suitavle for public road(s) use"

see any of your reciepts from C-red/Cypher/hyperdrive, this is because many people ask them to modify them to an extent that contraviens ADR etc hence the aforementioned disclaimer. which if memory serves me well has been on Cypher's invoices for at least 10 years.

my shrinking garage is down to.....
2x 1600s
1x GQ Tray back
1x 300ZX
1x FZR600