Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:03 pm 

Got a A87 head and top end rebuild kit from Datsun_16_Hundred today :).
I've got to track down some extractors and I should get some SU's from SSS610 soon too :).
Head porting and rebuild should be a fun little project :).
Not sure what cam I got, it says 'U20' on it though, I'll have to do some research. The lift appears to be pretty much exactly 10mm on it.
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:10 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

That should make for a bit of fun :) A87 head + L20B bottom end + extractors and exhaust + mild cam + twin SUs = fun, nippy, yet cheap-to-run Datsun.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 pm 
Whats the comp on running one of the heads on the L20B goona be?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 pm 

Yup, hoping it'll be cheap fun as well :).
8.8:1 I think it'll be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 pm 

that engine combo will go well man had the same setup in my 180b sedan except i had big cam and 11.7:1 comp ratio lol.

will let u know when i get the su's man.

cheers

I am able to do general fabrication work mild steel, stainess steel, rust repair patches, catch cans etc. pm or email me at cording_da_revhead@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 am 

Looking good there Neb. She's a little older than your brace of Nissans but seems to be a excelent condition.

For carbs I think the twin Dellortos from my old FJ20 are still for sale (sgls12 on AUS12) if you're interested. They're good carbs & I did a bit of reco on them when I had them.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:15 pm 

Nah it's ok I've lined up SU's from SSS610 already :). I'm keen for OEM style anyways.
Thanks though.
Jarich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:34 pm 

Pulled the head apart today to see what I need to do to it.
[ img ]

First off come the rocker retainer springs, then push the valves down with a screwdriver and wiggle the rockers out.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Next undo the cam retainer and slide the cam out. I think the cam is an L20B item, not an L18 one like the head. The cam and rockers are supposed to be matched (since they wear together) but on this head they likely aren't matched. Regardless I still numbered everything anyways.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Then get the valve spring compressor out, compress the springs and remove the collets.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Slide out the valves, and your done :). You can see the valves are pretty carbonned up, even over the valve seats. It'll take some cleaning and then we'll see if we have to regrind the valve seats or weather I can just get away with cleaning it all up and seating the valves by hand and be done with it. Of course the head will be cleaned up at home then skimmed before I put it back together with new valve stem seals and so on later.
[ img ]
[ img ]

A question for anyone out there reading this as well, what mirrors are good to use as wing mirrors on a 200B? I would like OEM ones but since I'm probably unlikely to find some (or if I do I'll probably be allergic to the price), what else is a good substitute?
Like so:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:24 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

It might pay to just buy new valves. Mine weren't very expensive, although they were at a mate's rates price. Have a look into it though.

As for those mirrors, I was lucky with mine, I got them at a good price. Although I'll warn you they do take some getting used to! But they do look cool.... Maybe look into fitting either 180B mirrors, or, I think Sunny mirrors are the same as 180B mirrors, but chrome. I always thought they looked better than 200B mirrors, but then I found the JDM ones :twisted:

The fleet:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:34 am 

Yeah I cleaned up the valves and they are a bit pitted. Where did you get your valves from by the way?

Before.
[ img ]
[ img ]
After.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The head looks pretty good though, although of course if it's going to the machine shop anyways I'll get the valve mating surface cleaned up.

When you say 180B/Sunny mirrors you mean the normal OEM door ones we got in Oz? I've found a few 180B wing mirrors on Yahoo! auctions (I can buy stuff off there easily, I have my old Yahoo! account from when I lived in Japan and I have friends there who I can have the stuff mailed to).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The head shop that fixed my head put the new valves in, I'd say that most of them would wither have them in stock, or can order you some in pretty quickly. While you're at it, I recommend new valve stem seals, and replace the welsh plug at the back of the head. Neither of these are very costly to do while the head is off, but if they need to be replaced later on, you won't be impressed! And when you get your head pressure checked, ask them to acid dip your rocker cover too. That is one way to make the engine bay look heaps better! Although half of this stuff you probably know...

As for the mirrors, here is my friend's car that I saw them on: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11572

I think he said they came off a Sunny, but send him a PM if you're not sure, and he will be happy to help you.

The fleet:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:28 pm 

I'll likely see if i can get these ones reground a bit, if there is enough meat on them. It's a budget build after all.
Of course I'm doing the valve stems and so on! Not much point in taking it apart if I just put it back together with old stuff in it :).
I will be doing 99.9% of the stuff myself, I'm allergic to paying people. Basically just have the machine shop skim the head and do the valve seats and the rest will be me.
Rocker cover I'll just clean up and paint here at home, it's not that dirty. If it was filthy I'd get dad to stick it in the bath at his work, but it's quite clean actually.

As for the wing mirrors, I didn't see any on that 180b in the link. Just normal door mirrors. I'll probably get some on Yahoo! I think. There are a few that will probably fit, U11 Bluebird ones look like a good bet since they aren't too expensive to buy in Japan new.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:35 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Haha, I meant that you could use those door mirrors as an alternative to front guard mirrors if you wanted something different! If it's front guard mirrors you want, search 'fender mirrors' on eBay. eBay US is often a better place to find them.

The fleet:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:01 pm 

sh*t son..

that heads gonna come up magic when its done :D

them valves dont look that bad.. tho new ones would be better.

like i said, this head hasnt had a hard time.. or used for the full 30 years its been around..

and i still think a 010" thou skim of the manifold face would be a good idea also.

and when you get the twinSU manifold, see if it had the water hole in it.. if not, get them holes on the manifold face welded up.

Cheers,
Stephen.

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 pm 

Yeah apart from all the crap caked onto the valves (engine probably blew a fair bit of smoke I'd say) it's in really good nick.
Looking at the valves there is plenty of meat on them to grind them back so I'll ask the engine place about them.
I'll sus the manifold when I'm doing the inlet ports too :).