Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:50 pm 

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could tell me if a L18sss motor had any special marking to show it as a sss? Any help would be muchly appreciated. Also if anyone can tell me the best l20 block and head combination for natural aspirated l series? e.g bluebird block- sss head?

thanks

Martin

Post subject: sss
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:20 pm 

you can tell if the head is a SSS head because it has 219 stamped on the front above the water pump, not sure about the bottom end tho, i think they were L18W blocks but thats about it. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:26 pm 

thanks for the help dude, im looking at getting the motor but im interested more in the head being a sss than the block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:30 pm 

well that should help then, but it'd be just as easy to get an A87 head in good nick and have it ported and polished and decked a bit, i mean SSS heads are good but you can still do better to em depending on the induction and cam your running. SSS head arent easy to come by i dont think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:45 am 

Just be aware that some A87 heads are open chamber, and some are closed chamber. I've got one of each ! :lol:

The closed chamber A87 are pretty well identical in spec to the SSS head, and you'll find them mostly on L18s and the occaisional L20b, although the open chamber A87 I have is from an L20b.

Cheers,