Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:18 pm 

i've been looking for a nice set of wheels, and have my eyes on some nice 15 x 7 impul five spoke wheels. problem is i'm not too sure if they'll fit. i have 240k struts for the front, but aren't yet on, just stock 1600 at the moment. the wheels have 127mm 'backspace'? not too sure what this measurement is, so if somebody could tell me how i can find out, or just if the wheels will fit on. oh and also i don't have flared guards if that changes anything. thanks alot,
dave

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:42 pm 

oh ok damn. does anyone else know? if this is correct

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:48 pm 
Guru

I have posted a repy to this sort of query before but here goes.
The offset of a wheel is the dimension from the geometric centre of the rim width, to the wheel mounting flange.
It is usually expressed in mm, + or - depending on whether the rim sits towards the centre of the car or towards the outside of the car.
That dimension is for a 1600 around the +30mm mark.
Back spacing is the dimension from the wheel flange face to the inside bead on the rim.
As the rim width varies for a constant offset, the back spacing will also vary.
So, getting back to your question/problem, the maximum back spacing any strut can handle is the distance between the wheel mounting flange on the hub, to the strut tube at a point equal to the rim diameter, minus a fiddle factor which is the tyre section width.
A wider section tyre will overhang the rim and may rub on the strut tower.
For example, if the above dimension was 105mm, a rim with 100mm backspacing will clear the strut but when fitted with a tyre, any tyre, it will probably rub.
Flared guards will allow you to reduce the offset from +, to zero, or in extreme cases, start going -.
If you are buying from a dealer, it his his responsibility to ensure the rim/tyre combo fit and are legal.
If you are buying privately, there is an old Ethopian saying, "Caveat emptor", which means "Buyer beware" :roll:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:02 pm 

yeah i'm buying privately and they are about 2hrs away in melbounre, and my 1600 is only a shell at the moment, so i can't really try em on for size. so there is no easy 'yes it will fit' or 'no it wont fit answer'? i'm only 16 so not really all that familiar with cars yet, but thanks for the info anyway.
dave

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:03 pm 

yeah i'm buying privately and they are about 2hrs away in melbounre, and my 1600 is only a shell at the moment, so i can't really try em on for size. so there is no easy 'yes it will fit' or 'no it wont fit answer'? i'm only 16 so not really all that familiar with cars yet, but thanks for the info anyway.
dave

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:10 pm 
Guru

You can still do some measuring on the struts you intend to use and get a reasonably accurate figure for the offset :wink:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:46 pm 

nissanman, that figure for the offset for a 1600 doesn't sound right. +30 would be the offset on a FWD and recent RWDs. I suspect it should be -30, but I don't know 16s that well, so excuse me for questioning. But then we should be checking the offset for a 240K, not a 1600.

I happen to have (possibly) the same Impul wheels for my R30, and they are around +25 offset (well, they fit on the R30, and its factory offset is +25).

The formula is:

offset = backspace - (width / 2)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:11 pm 

I've just been out and measured some Aunger mags I ran first on my 180B SSS, and then on my 240Z - they were originally fitted to a 240K, from memory.

They come out at approximately +3 offset, with a backspace of 91mm.