Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: moulded carpet?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:57 am 

I could use a little help from my Australian brothers. I'm in the States and interested in importing a moulded carpet set for my '71 510 sedan. No one here offers moulded carpet for the car, but it seems easy to come by on your side of the world. I've read forum discussions about fit and vendor issues but I'd appreciate any current thinking on the pluses and minuses of using moulded rather than loose carpet and who to buy from. One thing I like about the moulded style is that it doesn't appear to need snaps, holes, or screws to keep it in place. Is that right?

So far I've gotten info from All-Car, TruFit, Queensland, and Knox (they don't ship internationally). Also love to hear Baz's take on this, since it sounds like he stopped handling the stuff.

Any wisdom, tips, or leads would be greatly appreciated! :D

Post subject: Re: moulded carpet?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:22 pm 

Moulded carpets are most usually shocking fit... :evil:

I have fitted many, and I hate having to leave with someone shitty cause it doesnt look right. they dont use clips or fasteners but will usually need hot melt glue to correctly secure them from moving...

The some moulds are so far off the cars floor profile, and some have been moulded crooked so the carpet runs short and doesnt reach where it should

I much prefer to do my carpets by hand off the roll. You may get some creases and need to mount some small screws... but it looks much nicer

I always recomend floor mats to keep the carpet in good condition, it will always wear under the pedals...

Simon :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What is surprising to me is that most companies dont even ask what type of trans tunnel you have.
Maybe its too hard to get that accurate? Im not sure.
Most moulded carpets ive had were a bit too large over the tunnel and required padding (i used underlay) to fill some of the raised areas.
Got my last one from Knox and was pretty happy with it tho (Black plush-pile).
Best fitting one so far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 pm 

Dont forget to that the vinyl patch under the pedals will be on the wrong side for a lefthand drive 510 aswell. But good floor mats will fix that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 pm 

nick wrote:
Most moulded carpets ive had were a bit too large over the tunnel and required padding (I used underlay) to fill some of the raised areas.
Best fitting one so far.
I agree, i fitted a Knox carpet over Christmas and although it was a bit big around the tranny tunnel it was a fairly straight forward exercise, i used a bit of extra underlay in certain spots to pad it out. If i were to ever buy another one, it would be from Knox. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:52 pm 

bad510 wrote:
nick wrote:
Most moulded carpets ive had were a bit too large over the tunnel and required padding (I used underlay) to fill some of the raised areas.
Best fitting one so far.
I agree, I fitted a Knox carpet over Christmas and although it was a bit big around the tranny tunnel it was a fairly straight forward exercise, I used a bit of extra underlay in certain spots to pad it out. If I were to ever buy another one, it would be from Knox. :thumbsup:

yeah also bought from knox and had to use plenty of underlay to make the tunnel look perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:52 pm 

Interesting... What chassis are we talking here tho guys are they all original manual? Im sure all moulded carpets are done from auto's as its better to be bigger than too small

Thats what ive come across anyhow

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 pm 

DATWILLDECM8 wrote:
Interesting... What chassis are we talking here tho guys are they all original manual? Im sure all moulded carpets are done from auto's as its better to be bigger than too small

Thats what ive come across anyhow

:thumbsup:

when fitting the carpet glue the tunnel down with some contact adhesive and round the edges of where the kick panels are etc

with enough smacking the carpet with a flat hand you can make them look pretty good

also sometimes it is possible to reuse the original carpet for extra sound deadening or makes the floor real spongy :thumbsup:

they might not look 100% straight away but in a few years time they will fit perfectly as they are worn in and the heat of a closed car lets the backing soften and remould to the floor shape