Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: WA tuner to avoid!!
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:23 pm 

jus a heads up an not to sledge... but i gonna!!
ALLSTAR GARAGE are the joke of the tuner ind.

me bro got charged $850 bucks for a tune and quad throttle body sync.. his car came back with less power than he had with twin carbys!! ???

When another tuner had rectified this prob of SH*T tune( in very little time and fraction of cost) we called the guys back up and there explaination was "some people are happy with our tunes"
In my experience when you modify a car and send it off to be set up, you want to recieve it with more, usable power etc.!!

The car is now right up on power, torque, and power range so wasnt the car setup!! just a heads up to anyone lookin for a good tuner.. cos they are nothin near!!

Post subject: Re: WA tuner to avoid!!
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:47 am 

so who did you take it to for the good tune?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:20 am 

Don't forget that Dyno's are setup differently between shops, and the guys use them differently. Plus others use correction factors, and others don't.

If the car entered their shop with X amount of hp, and came out with an increase of say 20hp, then I'd say that was a positive tune. If it doesn't compare favourably with another dyno, who cares?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 pm 

yeah we aware regarding power figures on different dynos... power an torque curves, along with track times are the measuring tools we analysed!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:32 pm 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

But in no way is allstar garage a joke in the industry. In fact Sean (who tunes the cars) is very, very highly regarded in the import tuning market. I've taken my car to allstar every time I've needed something done - the tune is safe as a house with very good power, and they've always been exceptional with service.

Everyone has their opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:54 am 

SR20Datsun wrote:
Don't forget that Dyno's are setup differently between shops, and the guys use them differently. Plus others use correction factors, and others don't.

If the car entered their shop with X amount of hp, and came out with an increase of say 20hp, then I'd say that was a positive tune. If it doesn't compare favourably with another dyno, who cares?
WTF are you for real if you believe that your as bad as the tuner...
Check out what happened to me in the thread titled "Deza's tale of woe thread" then i suggest you rewrite your BS or delete that crap.
Before anyone shoots me for this bear in mind that the car has been off the since October last year & I had to buy a bunky to get around in until I could afford to rebuild the motor.

[ img ]
76 180B Wagon FJ20e, LT8 -daily
83 DR30RS FJ20et, GT35/40, 45mm Turbo Smart waste gate, 35mm Sard BOV, 356rwhp @ 19psi.

GO HARD or GO HOME, GO SIDEWAYS or GO SQUARE

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:52 am 

Sorry Champ, I don't understand where you are coming from.

All I was saying was:
I had my car sent to Dr Drift (Sam), who came highly recommended from fellow VIC Ozdatters. I had stock ECU, early S14 SR20DET with FMIC, 3" from turbo and running 10psi and that's about it. I had a base line done by Sam and made 150rwKw. I'm sure it doesn't compare to another dyno, and even if it's out by 50kw I don't care. What I do care about is the extra 10kw he pulled out by changing the mixture from over rich to just on perfect (and safe). So as a comparison tool, it was great. He also didn't notice any knock (he was wearing the knock muffs all the time when tuning), and showed me the AFR's and ALL the data when he was done. He told me what he did and what effect it had.

I'm not sure how this compares (and I'm not even trying comparing it) to your story. I'm just providing my experience of positive results to the discussion.

Sorry to hear about your engine giving up the ghost. :|

I should also add....

One of my mates who has an Sr20DET (red top) in his 1600 came along for a tune as well (Datones). His car was running LEAN as a biatch, BUT he was driving it around like that without noticing. Sam STOPPED the tune after he noticed the mixtures were starting to get lean under load higher in the rev range. The dyno chart proved it, and also proved that SAM stopped at the right time, which I thought was impressive. Power was EXCELLENT when it was lean, but sam managed to change the ignition timing, modify fuel pressure reg and the injectors to pump a little more fuel in, and a few other bits and pieces, and it made the same (if not a few KW more) than previous AND THE AFR's ARE SAFER.

Now THAT is a positive result on the dyno. :wink: and THAT is what I was trying to say in previous 'WTF BS' sentence.

Back to the topic...
datpsi wrote:
..me bro got charged $850 bucks for a tune and quad throttle body sync.. his car came back with less power than he had with twin carbys!! ???
Possibly because the tune with carby's was dangerous? (ie lean in the top end). Yeah it probably made more Hp when you took it to another tuner, but they might be closer on the 'edge' because you bad mouthed another tuner. Wanting more HP, they leaned it out further, and bingo, more HP, but not as safe. That's just my opinion though. Who knows what they did unless you asked for a print out of the dyno with AFR before and after so you could compare. If they don't provide this, then I'd either ask them, or use someone else who is willing to provide this complete information.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:57 pm 

Yeahlow34 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

But in no way is allstar garage a joke in the industry. In fact Sean (who tunes the cars) is very, very highly regarded in the import tuning market. I've taken my car to allstar every time I've needed something done - the tune is safe as a house with very good power, and they've always been exceptional with service.

Everyone has their opinion.
:thumbsup: I Agree that sean is freaking awsome tuner for efi's but he may not be so good with carby or t/bodies every turner has there neesh market, I've seen some of the quality cars he's produced including a street loral with 750hp that competed in WA Drift scene last year with out skipping a beat.

If I could afford Sean then I would use him however I'm extremely happy with Andy @ Hyperdrive accross the road. Andy and he crew install the FJ20e into my Datsun 180B with the Microtech Lt8s (M/T) which neither of then had tuned a M/T for 10-15years but still managed a by far better tune than Barrie.

Andy's tune was a very sharp & snappy 117hpatw :hail: and Barrie tuned a very doughy undrivable 120hpatw 3hp gain that was freaking useless and eventuly killed the motor :chaching: a $280 tune that has cost over $3000 so far.

[ img ]
76 180B Wagon FJ20e, LT8 -daily
83 DR30RS FJ20et, GT35/40, 45mm Turbo Smart waste gate, 35mm Sard BOV, 356rwhp @ 19psi.

GO HARD or GO HOME, GO SIDEWAYS or GO SQUARE