Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 pm 

Hi guys,

as i'm living in Qld now, the Bluebird lives in SA still and i am considering letting the rego lapse as i hardly drive it.

i have let the insurance lapse for the reason i will probably not drive it for another 6 months.

i'm wondering if i can do the same for rego. i have been continually paid the rego to keep it live as i have understood that after a certain amount of time the rego becomes invalid and needs to go over the pits.

my car will never make it over due to noise and emmisions (and the rust in the "c" pillar...)

i want to know if anyone has let the rego go and if it is as simple as ringing up transport SA or if any rule changes have occured in the last 2 years because i am obviously unaware.

i will be trying to navagate the transport sa site but if someone knows then it would be great to hear about your situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:53 pm 

My car was left unregistered for 6 or 7 years before I re-registered it over the net recently.

IIRC after about 6 - 12 months of no rego they'll send you a letter suggesting you send them your rego plates if you don't wish to re-register in the future. Just ignore it - it's not a formal request or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

That shouldnt be a problem. You may qualify for seasonal rego if after 90 days and before 12months for an extra fee.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/registra ... ration.asp

quote: ("Registration payments made up to 90 days after the expiry date will not have the expiry date adjusted unless it is requested by you and a higher administration fee is paid. If you do not register your vehicle within 90 days of the registration expiring, you will be required to surrender your number plates.")

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:28 am 

thanks guys

i'll still have a read of the site and maybe give them a call.

just dont want to spend another $500 for a years worth of rego i dont use

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:30 pm 

if you just let it expire then next time you go to register it it will cost an extra $10 from memory ... i had two cars for a while that i registered 6 months on 6 months off and never had a problem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:44 pm 

the 1200 ute we bought had not had rego for 6 years, and we regoed it no worries

i believe that there is a time frame, but it would be over a few years, and it is also up the the disgression of the window jockey you see etc..

dont worry about it too much, or just let me drive your car while your away....

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:36 pm 

SA is pretty lenient with this , i purchased a car that hadn't been registered for 10 yrs , i just filled out the green form with all the correct details and voila it is now registered in my name ..

If it is still in your name , you can leave it unregistered for ages no problems .. :wink: (it will cost an extra fee tho )

Unless of course they decide to change the rules soon ..

Cheers