Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 pm 

Hi All,

Before anyone says use the search button, I have countless times and only managed to find bits and pieces of information to thread together.

After reading that you could swap over a 200B front strut for a R31 front strut (in a 200B), I went and bought a couple of pairs. I thought to myself when I pulled the 200B ones out the other day, wow the R31 springs sure are a larger circumference! I tried forcing them into the strut tower, but to no avail.

So in measuring up the struts this is what I've found:

R31 disc bolts onto the 200B stub axle. the R31 calipers fit too, but need a spacer and new bolts. I also noticed that the R31 calipers bolt up to the other side of the stub axle as compared to stock 200B ones (this is all on a 200B strut).
R31 struts from top to bottom are 50mm shorter than stock 200B ones I'm pretty sure too..

Basically, I want to know as what I thought was a straight forward is not as easy as unbolt, bolt in. Measuring everything else, I assume you transfer the R31 shock and switch the inserts so you keep the R31 stub axle for the R31 disc and calipers?

Please someone clear this up for me! Everyone seems to know how to do it, but never done it themselves.. I'll put pictures up soon!

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:01 pm 

Get the spring seats cut off the 200b struts and weld them onto the R31 struts and hey presto, the spring will now fit. Also use the 200b strut top. Sounds kinda tough but it should be a piece of cake for anyone in the trade. Make sure you measure the differences in the struts to ensure they are welded onto the R31s at the right height.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:04 pm 

Yeh that's what I was thinking, but with rewelding it, if I weld it at the wrong angle it could seriously effect the camber and angles the strut is meant to sit at doesn't it?

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:07 pm 

Myaz wrote:
Yeh that's what I was thinking, but with rewelding it, if I weld it at the wrong angle it could seriously effect the camber and angles the strut is meant to sit at doesn't it?
Get it done by an engineer. It shouldn't cost you much - it's incredible straight forward for someone with the proper equipment.

If not, then yes, you need to be very, very careful. So careful in fact that I recommend having a professional engineer do it :lol: