Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 260C being updated
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:20 pm 

[ img ]
[ img ]

This is my '76 260C, its undergoing a full aero re-evaluation with SolidWorks and then panels are being changed out with fibreglass using the existing body as a plug (with appropriate changes made).

Does anyone know of a reasonably compatible EFI engine transplant for the 260C? Or, has anyone had any experience changing panels to fibreglass?

My problem is- being an engineer, I can design the hell out of it, but making physical changes isn't something they taught at uni. (Hence the project car)

That being said, I love this car and I've got some great plans for it!

Post subject: Re: 260C being updated
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 pm 

As far as Im concered, you are one of the most dedicated 260c owners out there!

For engines. EASY.
The L28e from the 280zx will be your easiest conversion. Pending availability. The best thing would be to find a donor car for a few hundred, and strip out all the required parts.
The sump orientation may be different, requiring you to customise the oil pickup and dipstick holes a bit.
the engine wioll otherwise bolt straight in.

If you want to get fance, the L28 can be easily turbo'ed with the gear from the L28et from the 280zxt, which honestly is quite harrd to find in australia. THe next best thing is the L20et manifolds form an import HR30 skyline (1980 to 84).
I have collected L series turbo parts for about 3 years and it is a challenge.

For ECU's, megasquirt is very popular in the USA. I am saving for an Adaptronic, its aussie, and does self tuning. (not fine stuff but enough to get you to the workshop).

The L28e isnt a massive power getter in stock form, but aftermarket ECU will make it a world of difference, especially with headwork and cam/valves etc. I have been in a N/A 200kW L28e and it sounded insane.
Turboing is easier and cheaper though....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm 

The are heaps of 280ZX's to be found in wrecking yards, and they have the easiest efi engine upgrade around.

If you can find a 280C, later models also had efi, and being from a very similar car, you wouldn't have to do too much work to get it in.

You could also keep the L26 and put the efi gear from either car onto the L26.

Either way, it will be a nice cruiser, and certainly doesn't need a turbo.
To clarify: A turbo isn't necessary. You can have one, but you will be able to drive it without one.

And the aftermarket ECU idea is a good one, you will get better power, fuel economy and throttle response then an ecu made in the early 80's .

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm 

Cheers for the info guys, been reading up on the procedures for doing a transplant, looks a bit beyond my small garage and meagre excuse for a toolshed. Know anyone who has experience in this kind of thing and would be willing to do a cash job? I'm keen participate but I know I'll stuff something up if I try this one myself...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Did you just buy that? Looks to be in really good condition. Nice paint, no rust etc.

I've seen that car before. I even have a photo of that very same car when it was parked in Murdoch Uni car park.

You can pull your regos stickers off the window now. Not needed anymore, since 1/1/2010.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_0072.JPG [ 101.77 KiB | Viewed 1449 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Weird. for some reason my photo is upside down. Just stand on your head for now, I'll fix it later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm 

Yr an engineer with a small shed and an even smaller tool collection? I guess being an engineer though yr wallet would the size of my shed lol.