Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Yet another fairlady
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:28 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I made the trek back down to Canberra to pick up the second of my fairladies yesterday. This one is still in one lump with the exception of the carbs, radiator, water pump and rocker gear which came in a seperate box, and two guages which appear to be missing altogether :mellow: . The cast iron water pump has a few cracks in it - perhaps this is why the car was taken off the road ?? And the rocker gear has been in contact with water and is now VERY rusty :(

Initially, I thought this was the worst of the two. Having had a good look, its actually not too bad. Rust is absolutely minimal, only major area is in one sill. The interior is pretty much dead - it looks to have been in storage for a long time as all the vinyl is hard and brittle and a lot of the rubber seals have "melted" to a gooey mess. The body looks much worse than it is as the last coat of paint hasn't stuck and is coming away everywhere, so you can see the light blue underneath the more recent dark blue paint job.

This one should have the earlier G15 motor, but I was told it has been replaced by an R16 that was fitted to these little cars from 1966 onwards (this one is a '65 model). The two motors are almost the same, but the G15 has a smaller bore and longer stroke for a capacity of 1500cc's. Despite meaning to check, I still haven't confirmed what motor it actually has.

The driver's seat and soft top mechanism that are missing in the photos are still on the back seat of my commodore - I forgot to unpack them when I unloaded the car into my brother's garage :rolleyes:

Couldn't help myself with the last photo - the old and the new (the fairladies and my brother's 350Z) :lol:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject: Re: Yet another fairlady
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:35 am 

Dave wrote:
Couldn't help myself with the last photo - the old and the new (the fairladies and my brother's 350Z) :lol:
Pretty much the same colour even!

So is the plan to get both to operating condition, or to build one solid runner out of the two?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Well, the plan keeps changing :roll: .

Current thinking is to get the blue one running with a minimum of effort (ie no paint and panel work). The seats from the white one have been retrimmed, so they go in the blue one. Throw in some carpet, generally tidy it up, rebuild the motor / gearbox, rebuild the brakes.

Basically, get it roadworthy even if it still looks like crap.

Then put it on historic rego and drive it while I finish the 180B SSS project.

After that, I'll completely restore one of them to original condition and the other may either be modified for the track, or will get an SR20DE and AUTO :shock: conversion for the wife to drive, or will be restored for my daughter to drive.

There isn't much missing at all from what I can see so far, there is definitely enough to build two good cars.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:54 pm 

Dave wrote:
After that, I'll completely restore one of them to original condition and the other may either be modified for the track, or will get an SR20DE and AUTO :shock: conversion for the wife to drive, or will be restored for my daughter to drive.
Auto conversion! Boo-hiss!
But seriously, it will be nice to see at least one of them tidied up. I never used to like the shape of the fairladies much, but they're growing on me.
Any pics of the front of the blue one?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:24 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

nswdatsun wrote:
Auto conversion! Boo-hiss!
Yeah, I know :roll:

The missus can't (won't :evil: ) drive a manual. This would be my least-preferred option, and would depend on the physical size of the auto transmission as I don't want to cut / modify the transmission tunnel at all.

I'll try to get some more / better pics. I had to get a tow truck to get it up my brother's driveway and into the garage, and didn't think of photos till it was all put away. Only had my phone as well, I'll go out there with a decent camera next weekend.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:40 pm 

Dave wrote:
Yeah, I know :roll:

The missus can't (won't :evil: ) drive a manual. This would be my least-preferred option, and would depend on the physical size of the auto transmission as I don't want to cut / modify the transmission tunnel at all.

I'll try to get some more / better pics. I had to get a tow truck to get it up my brother's driveway and into the garage, and didn't think of photos till it was all put away. Only had my phone as well, I'll go out there with a decent camera next weekend.
Awesome. Hope the front end looks better than the back...

Don't go down the auto path... It's sad realising how much power you lose... I was driving an auto 200B around for ages, and just got a manual a few weeks ago. Massive increase in power, torque, everything. Either my engine was made on a Wednesday, or manual gearboxes are better.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:51 pm 

if your missus cant drive a manual, she cant drive the fairlady, simple

can she use a manual and just refuses too or plain cant use one,

convince her this way, "what if the only car was manual, and you hurt yourself badly, how would she drive you to the hospital"

Suppose if she wants auto, she'll want power windows, central locking, and A/C too, nice fairlady then

And if you just dodge the blue one to get it up and running, but have the driveline/brakes/suspension new/rebuilt, then when you finish the shell/chassis of the other one and just put it all in that one, so rebuild all the gear from the white one, put it in the blue one and then swap it over to the white again once it's body is done, so the numbers all match again, once they are finished, maybe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:40 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Not much actual work happening on the fairlady, but I have managed to acquire a complete set of NOS brake hydraulics (front and rear wheel cylinders and a master cylinder), plus an H20 engine from a Homer.

The H20 is just a larger capacity version of the original fairlady engine, externally identical, so I hope to be able to clean it up, new rings, adapt some 180B SU's and away it goes :thumbsup:

So, my current plan is to turn it into a "ratrod" style thing (the "ratlady" ?), good mechanicals in a really ordinary-looking body. Luckily the body is good, despite the shocking paint.

[ img ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm 

hahaha, the ratlady, love it

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
ratlady.jpg [ 25.63 KiB | Viewed 3386 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:53 pm 

2L SU'd Fairlady... Nice :thumbsup:

1978 Stanza, undergoing track spec build.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:01 pm 

Stoney wrote:
hahaha, the ratlady, love it
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :giggle:

:thumbsup:

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 am 

updatez!!!!!