Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: the new Y on the block
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:37 pm 

so here we go...

i picked this one up only a week and a half ago. got a roady check done on it the next monday and here's what needed to be done:

*pedal pads
*fuel leak at carby
*master cylinder leaks (i can see it :roll: )
*drivers side window reg
*pin bushes
*rod bushes
*engine oil leak
*2 lower ball joints
*tyres
*gearbox leak
*floor shift boot broken
*tail shaft replace
*rear wheel cylinder
*break stop test
*front rotors
*adj and bleed brakes
*head light switch (the douche bag couldn't work out how they worked. ended up pulling the switch of!)
*Front Parkers not working
*boot seal (what the?)
*repair seats
*repair parcel shelf

now that's seems like more when you type it all out.

that was last monday, today, 1 week later it goes back to the same guy to get the bushes and ball joints done. (and a wheel alignment) and all that's to do is

*fuel leak at carby
*master cylinder leaks (i can see it :roll: )
*rear wheel cylinder
*break stop test
*adj and bleed brakes
*boot seal (what the?)

i couldn't see either of the leaks in the carby or master cylinder so i just asked the mechanic to ake car of them, but i must say, i think i did an alright job getting the rest done.

any now some photos...

ones from the website i found it on

[ img ]

[ img ]

got home and discovered it had an amazing disappearing bonnet!!
:giggle:

[ img ]

and putting the siblings to work

[ img ]

all washed and polished, taken last night :D

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

and then when i realized it looks so much nicer without the flash. look at the shine

[ img ]

[ img ]

well that's all for now, they roady will be complete by friday because that's when it gets shipped down to tassie with i.

sadly, the 120y blew up and the old sss was sold to a better home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 pm 

thats the same god awful colour mine was, however the car was indestructable, apart from melting the spider gears in the diff (thats another story), but rust was its demise in the end

You can take the side trims off easily, but it takes the paint with them, so a heat gun and some time can remove them without paint as well, and remove the sticky sh*t behind it and it changes the look of the car

As for the boot seal, the reason it's needed for rego is because if it doesn't seal then exhaust gas can enter the cabin, which is a no no! same as exhaust leaks

It weird, you can pass a rego with no meat on the brake pads, even have metal on metal, but as long as the brake readout passes then it's fine

Any plans for the old girl, or will this be a runabout?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:58 pm 

that funny thing bout the colour, the more i work on it and look at it, the more i like it. :oops: and once its all polished up it looks quite nice. i was planning on doing a quick respray this week but i cant bring myself to. i like the colour too much.

plans for it is just a cheap run about. im off to uni down in tas this saturday and i'm planing on just using it down there. maybe just a few "budge" mods but nothing major. i am shocked at how good it is on fuel, liking it already. (damn poor uni students)

ps, the roady is a joke. sure my brakes dont work well but after just sitting in the car you just learn to use the gears to slow down. like today, i was taking it to the mechanic and a tractor was on the side of the road (bike lane) and all of a sudden it pulled out so i ended up braking but mainly using the gears.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:00 pm 

thats why a decent brake & suspension upgrade are a much more beneficial and used upgrade than more power

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 pm 

yeah. whats the go with brake upgrades for the y? anything that's seen as the "norm"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:07 pm 

hmmm, brake upgrades for the "WHY" never looked into it myself, but a quick search should yeild some results, maybe stanza/bluebird struts with LCA's to match i think is the go, something about having to use the LCA's as well in the "WHY"

and whats the deal with the drivers side mirror being half way down the door? :lol: is that annoying at all to look at?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm 

Stoney wrote:
and whats the deal with the drivers side mirror being half way down the door? :lol: is that annoying at all to look at?
OH GOD YES!!! i'm changing it as soon as as the roady is signed off. it passed there so i'll leave it till after they are done.

my thoughts on the brakes is once my new discs and pads and they have been bleed, the brakes will be alot better. so we'll wait and see

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm 

Last time i checked, Datsport were selling chrome side mirrors for $19 ea, a nice pair of them would look good, my Y didn't even have a passenger side one and the drivers side was a piece of sh*t

It already looks lowered, so see what shocks it has and whether it was done properly or on the dodge

Resetting the rear shoes and handbrake is pretty easy and a good quick repair, and the fronts miht just need resuracing of the pads for now util you upgrade later on, resurfacing the pads, means find a flat piece of concrete and ruff up the pad surface to remove any irregularities and to remove the shine off them, helps them bed in properly if the car hasnt been used in a while

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 pm 

and black window surrounds looks much better too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:09 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Wow! Just swapping the wheels made it look heaps better! So does the SSS have 120Y hubcaps now? Also I think leave the side strips on...well, what's left of them.

You'll find it excellent on fuel, but very, very slow. But that's fine :) no speeding tickets for you.

Also, as far as roadworthy certificates go, I always like to say "A safe car is not necessarily roadworthy. A roadworthy car is not necesarily safe."

I'll try and come and see you before you go. Want to see the Y anyway. Up for a drag race? :giggle:

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 pm 

yeah, changing the wheels was an effort and a half...

jack car 1 up, take the wheel off car 1, jack car 2 car up, take wheel off car 2, put wheel on car 2, lower jack on car 2, put other wheel on car 1, lower car 1, repeat 4 times, go to pub to numb the pain, get woken up by builder the next morning at 9, headache, look at car, think "it was so worth it"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:17 am 

stanza control arms with you a bit more track and camber. common upgrade for brakes is s13 disc and caliper. search it on datsun1200.com heaps of info. even with no power you will still have a heap of fun in the hills if your brakes and suspension are half decent.

(parts car)77' 120y coupe...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:21 pm 

I'm getting sick of asking this question, but what the hell i'll ask it again anyway, what year stanza's are you guys going on about when you are talking about putting stanza gear on 120y's? Or is it some kind of secret?

1978 120Y sdn
1973 B120 - dead
1971 VB110 4dr - sold
Others:
1995 Proton Wira - daily sh#tbox

[ img ]