Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 pm 

I fitted shorter shocks to mine.
went from this -> this:
[ img ]
(suspected raised 610 springs to lowered 510 springs)
I had these monroes lying around:
[ img ]
they are for an n12 pulsar, i simply drilled the bush out:
[ img ]
then pushed the standard bush in and fitted it up.
voila! captive springs!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:42 pm 

I had Pedders Rally in my 610SSS, they were some 10mm too short so they rattled around without being held against the spring hats/cups. Putting a 10-15mm rubber ring sounds like a good idea (I used these on the back to adjust ride height very successfully & cheaply) but what I did was cut some strap steel about 10mm wide and 2mm thick, I cut pieces about 50mm long and every 120 degrees around the bottom cup I welded these on to stop the spring dropping off/out of the cup, never had any problems and was happy with that very cheap easy mod.
Whilst the strut was out I also welded a piece of 40mmx40mm angle about 100mm long vertically down the length of the strut tube down the inside of the strut, I pushed it into the space at the back of the front hub and tack welded it to the strut tube and the hub carrier, you know, the thing where the caliper bolts too but at the back - this strengthed the bottom of the strut which, if you biff something sliding in a rally almost always you'll bend the bottom of the strut where it slides into the lower hub casting, I've seen plenty of cars not finish rallies due to a slight biff on the front side which then bent the strut tube in the hub carrier and the whole lot bent so the tyre hit the top of the tube so it wouln't turn.
Its simply for stru places to remove the old tube & replce it with a new one, but not in the forest at 3 in the morning !
Dave