Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:15 am 

the car is going and already has verada rotors and vl turbo calipers just want to change the front from 4 stud to 5 stud so i can get the same wheels uz prob no the green 1600 with the turbo windsor dont want to do any upgrades just want to get a set of pro stars 4 the front

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 am 

Well maybe it's just a matter of bolting some Z hubs on. The studs are out of the front of the hub and I believe there is still only 4 bolts holding the disc to the back of the hub.

(parts car)77' 120y coupe...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 am 

going to have a go at saying you want a 5 stud front conversion...which has pretty much nothing to do with redrilling the discs to 5 stud
maybe you want to know if you can drill the hub to 5 stud as that would be a much more useful thing to know in your case, the answer is no
you can get 240/260/300c hubs that are ford 5 stud spacing but then you will have to get new discs to suit as the bolt pattern for teh disc is different and the centre bore is most likely larger

early falcon (XF) intergrated disc/hubs apparently run the same wheel bearings/ stub axle dimentions as datsun stuff so might be able to bolt them on then find a different caliper to suit them and the strut

but if you dont want to change your brakes at all then 4-5 stud bolt on spacers might be the easiest way to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

L18PWR wrote:
going to have a go at saying you want a 5 stud front conversion...which has pretty much nothing to do with redrilling the discs to 5 stud
This is incorrect. As mentioned before a five stud conversion involves mounting the rotor to the hub either over the wheel studs on the front of the hub (commonly known as a 'floating' rotor), or bolting the rotor to the rear of the hub ( which is a smaller pcd than the wheel stud pattern).
Either way the rotor may need to have 5 holes machined in it at the correct pcd.
The key bit to this is to match the rotor and hub offset to the caliper you are using by choosing the most appropriate 5-stud hub.
This will most likely be a ford or nissan 5-stud hub (5x 114.3) of some sort and may require a little spacing of the caliper or choosing a more appropriate rotor hat dimension depending which strut, hub and rotor combo you choose.
This has not been done much at all so you will have to do some research into it (just like putting a turbo'd windsor into a 510)... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 pm 

nick wrote:
L18PWR wrote:
This is incorrect. As mentioned before a five stud conversion involves mounting the rotor to the hub either over the wheel studs on the front of the hub (commonly known as a 'floating' rotor), or bolting the rotor to the rear of the hub ( which is a smaller pcd than the wheel stud pattern).
Either way the rotor may need to have 5 holes machined in it at the correct pcd.
The key bit to this is to match the rotor and hub offset to the caliper you are using by choosing the most appropriate 5-stud hub.
This will most likely be a ford or nissan 5-stud hub (5x 114.3) of some sort and may require a little spacing of the caliper or choosing a more appropriate rotor hat dimension depending which strut, hub and rotor combo you choose.
This has not been done much at all so you will have to do some research into it (just like putting a turbo'd windsor into a 510)... :)
Why don't you just use the verada hub then?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:52 pm 

I'll have a set of 6061 billet aluminum 5 stud hubs to suit an R31 strut in the next month or so.

Nice bit of kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm 

James May wrote:
Why don't you just use the verada hub then?
not really that simple, doubt there would be much if any chance of the magna hub working on a datsun strut

i listed the easy options for going 5 stud. can probably even use 80s toyota 5 stud hubs as the aus production models run similar wheel bearing dimentions to datsun stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 pm 

This may or may not be of much help but i used R31 struts with Hilux 4 pots Z31 5 stud hubs and 300mm MA70 Supra rotors.
The rotors are cheap as in NZ i did have to get a bracket made up but it was pretty simple for the engineer to do basically just a flat plate then on the strut end i think it was spaced with a fat washer.
If you want to know more i think there is a thread in this section somewhere showing it or you could PM me and i'l send you some more photos

[ img ]
[ img ]

Present:
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My Standard Car)
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My SR20DET 6Spd Car)
KP710 140J Delux (New Road Car)
KP710 Parts POS