Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: BEST RADIATOR FOR 510
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:11 pm 
HI ALL, IM BUILDING A 510 RALLY/RACE CAR, JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN TELL THE BEST RADIATOR TO BE USING FOR PRETTY DECENT L20B IN MY 510, AND ALSO IF AN OIL COOLER WILL BE WORTH RUNING FROM DAY ONE, RATHER HAVING TO WORK ROUND FRESH PAINT LATTER ON... THANKYOU FOR ANY SUGESTIONS, BILL..

Post subject: rad
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:21 pm 
ive got a standard radiator recored with a 3row core in a couple of mine and have had no probs. Thermofans aswell and you shouldnt have a prob with the L20B.
Dunno bout the oil cooler though. Probably good insurance if racing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:01 pm 

Best radiator I ever saw in a 1600 was a holden 3 core (can't remember model but would have been about HQ) that my brother put in his rally car about 1980. Had to have an inch or two cut off top and top resealed but it was bloody wide. He drilled extra holes alongisde the opening for the radiator to let air in on the extra cores. Had an electric fan but the thing would idle all day without the fan ever switching on. Cost a bit but cooling was never a problem.

Post subject: 1600 L series cooling
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:37 pm 
The standard radiator with a 3 core conversion is the way to go. The main thing is that the system is clean and you use quality coolant. The object is to keep things as light and compact as possible, why lug around a heavy radiator if you don't have to. As for oil temp, throw away the standard oil pressure sender, it dosn't give enough warning by the time it comes on your engine is already stuffed. Replace it with a high pressure sender and if the oil light comes on above 2000rpm after a hard run you need to think about oil cooling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:57 pm 
CHEERS GUYS, SOUNDS AS THOUGH A 3 CORE CONVERSION IS DEFINATLY THE WAY TO GO,AS FOR OIL COOLER I MIGHT JUST PUT ONE ON REASON BEING THAT DONT WANT TO TRY TO FIT ONE AROUND FRESH PAINT, EXAMPLE WELD MOUNT FOR OIL FILTER AS IT WILL OBVIOUSLY BE A REMOTE SETUP!!!! ALSO ANY KNOW OF THE CHOICE STRUT FOR RALLY, GOT MY TRACK SUSPESION SORTED OUT, GUNNA HAVE TWO DIFFERENT SETUPS, AS I DO WHEEL ALINGMENTS FOR A JOB THATS NO DRAMAS... ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT, BILL..

Post subject: Rally Strut Suggestion
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:45 am 
I am currently using adjustable Profex struts with 140lb linear Eibarch springs (non't use progressive King springs). This is an expensive option compared to using Commodore Bilstein inserts. In between their is DMS struts to expensive compared to the Bilsteins and not in the same league as the Proflex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:10 pm 
Guru

Use an oil thermostat to prevent the oil from circulating in the cooler when not neccesary.
Most thermos. will only use the cooler if the oil exceeds ~80 Deg. C.

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:05 pm 
cheers nissan man, makes sence to use a thermostat, engine will never get to operating temp other wise would it??