Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:26 pm 

Thanks Helix, heres a couple of interesting links from Ozdat:

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=bathurst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14 pm 

Whilst we are reminiscing over things historic does anyone have any photos of Edgar Herrmann's 1970 Ampol Trial car? I asked several years ago but apart from Baz did not receive any replies.

Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller came equal first with Jean Claude Ogier and Lucette Ogier in a DS Citroen. The Citroen was streets ahead of the field until they came to the mountains, in particular the Snowy's, then the Dato came into its own ending in a draw with equal points. The Datsun nearly didn't make it when they rolled the car before the start. Rallysport magazine had a good article about that event.

I have dressed up my 1600 to look like the Herrman car whilst a friend has a DS to look like the Ogier car. This photo was taken at Lismore in Vic on the Ampol Rerun in 2006.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Lismore 1.JPG [ 360 KiB | Viewed 4605 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 pm 

Mate great photo, looks spot on,Your eyes must of lit up when you saw the old servo. The only photo I have is on page two of this thread which is black and white...Was the re-run you did the same one the Whittens from ARN did in the blue Cortina? Looked like a fun event.

1970 was a big year for Edgar!! Do you know any more about the orginal car? was it factory supported or dealer backed? SSS or Aussie spec?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:02 pm 

Yes it was the same event as the Whitten's. It was a last, 4 weeks and 10k km's. The newest car was the DS and that was 1974 vintage. A great time was had by all. We also had Barry Ferguson, and Bob Watson entered. They may be senior in years but they can still punt a car around.

The Rallysport mag has some detail on the car, I will dig out over the next few days and post it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:56 pm 

Great Thread guys. Preserve the Datsun prosperity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm 

The most Historic Datsun race car, ever, in Australia.
First race meeting was May 14th 1968 at Warwick Farm NSW, and now 42 years later August 2010 at Wakefield park Goulburn FoSC race meeting, still able to get up and boogie HARD

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Jason on two wheels.JPG [ 368.44 KiB | Viewed 4564 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:44 am 

No doubt about it Jason, that's impressive! Most race cars are lucky to last a season or two. Mate I would love to know more about it, how about a write up on it's history and a few photo's?

What else is out there?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:18 pm 

1970 Ampol Trial

Datsun provided an entry to the 1970 Ampol Trial as a prize to Edgar Hermann and Hans Schuller for winning that years Safari Rally. However Nissan Australia only found out weeks prior to the event when the parent company called to say the Germans were on their way. A maroon 1600SSS was taken from the Nissan fleet and sent to Bruce Wilkinson at the Datsun Rally Team workshop where the car was prepared. As the SSS was never sold in Australia parts were scrounged from all over including a complete drive train from Japan (a special competition 5 speed gearbox and two LSD’s). Whilst the engine remained standard the suspension was works Tokico with standard steel wheels fitted with Dunlop tyres. In the Japanese manner of the day the the suspension set up gave the car positive camber on the front wheels which made it look funny. By the time Hermann and Schuller arrived the car was completed and after being sent out to test in the Eildon area one night it was pronounced ready. A Monte Carlo type start allowed competitors to “rally” at port Augusta from 4 starting locations, but the real event started at Alice Springs. However the Datsun nearly did not make Alice Springs when Hermann overturned the car on the warm up leg. After makeshift repairs the car continued to Alice Springs where the local Datsun Dealer made more permanent repairs. By the time they finally hit Adelaide, the Ogiers were in the lead on 22 points with Hermann second on 32 and Colin Bold equal third on 38. The final leg took crews from Albury across the Alps, through Canberra to Sydney. On the final night the Germans made a bid for the lead, and along the roads through Nimmitabel, Cooma and Kiandra they overtook the Ogier Citroen and gained equal first on 60 points. The Monaro of Colin Bond was third and another 109 cars came in.

For a full description go the the article in the May 2006 RallySport Magazine by Jeff Cameron.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:21 pm 

What about random shots people have of the Old Group G rounds? NSW in particular.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

bluerat wrote:
No doubt about it Jason, that's impressive! Most race cars are lucky to last a season or two. Mate I would love to know more about it, how about a write up on it's history and a few photo's?
I'm sure Jason can fill in more info, but here's one of my favourite stats - at the 2009 datnats, there was only 3 seconds between the 2 cars pictured below, and that was over a 3-lap sprint (so basically the 2000 Sports was only a second a lap slower). Amazing stuff :hail:

[ img ]

[ img ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

RJB510 wrote:
What about random shots people have of the Old Group G rounds? NSW in particular.
I'll see what I can find. I used to get along to a lot of rallies in the early 80's and have a pile of programs somewhere.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:58 pm 

That'd be great Dave. I'm particularly looking for any pics of an old 180B SSS. Was British Racing Green. Used to rally around NSW State rally championship. Group G rounds.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 pm 

Dave wrote:
bluerat wrote:
I'm sure Jason can fill in more info, but here's one of my favourite stats - at the 2009 datnats, there was only 3 seconds between the 2 cars pictured below, and that was over a 3-lap sprint (so basically the 2000 Sports was only a second a lap slower). Amazing stuff :hail:

[ img ]

I can see my car in the background of that photo!
And I'm pretty sure that's Alistair behind that 300ZX

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm 

LIndsay wrote:
One of the works stanza's was sold to Ron Cremin - Michael Valentine has one as well and still runs it, but both the handle and the head of the axe have been replaced.

Both these cars were sold without engines.
Here's a thread back from the dead...

Lindsay, can you please expand on your comment above regarding Michael Valentine's works Stanza. Do you know which one he has?

Thanks,

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 pm 

Hi All, new to the group, just found this old thread. I was lucky enough to have done my motor mechanic apprenticeship for nissan motor company australia at the company service garage in sturt street south melbourne. Incorperated in the garage was the rally team. At the time they were a very busy group of guys, myself and fellow apprentice were lucky enough to be enlisted as, what they called "Gofers" which meant , go get this, go clean that up etc. Being in such close quarters to all the works cars, mechanics and on occasion the drivers and howard marsden was just a blast. Please all, I hope you dont think I am bragging, but this thread brought back a lot of memorys to me, and this company and these cars are part of my history. I was lucky enough to go for a ride on the streets of sth melb with ross dunkerton at the wheel of the L/H/D 260z on dunlop full winter tread tyres. I was used as balast in the nav seat because I was the same size and weight as geoff beaumont ( who to my delight was not there for set up ) , still the most exciting trip I have ever had around albert park lake, especially being seated in the R/H seat. Unfortunately the 710's (except for one) were stripped and the japanese registered bodys were put on a freight ship and were pushed over the side once at sea. We were told it was for some cost reason ? The dunkerton 260z and the fury 710 and the 140y were crated up and went back to japan. All the parts from the 710's were held as spares for the up coming stanza's. For interest sake , the first works team stanza,within a week of it's arrival from japan was taken to george fury farm for testing on his propertys rally track. George rolled the car with howard marsden in it that night.
Sorry to have raved on, hope the info about the cars demise was helpfull.