Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:34 pm 

I am about to purchase a 240Z off my brother, and am trying to put together costs/effort estimates for various pieces of work (organised, aye?). It is to be my project car which I wish to use for some track days and general cruising (hopefully even join a car club and get involved there .. anyone know any around Sydney that would be a good fit?).

Anyway, I wish to improve the brakes (at least the front) from their original to a nice set of 4 caliper brakes. What is generally the "go" here, is it easy, how much does it cost and what is the story with engineers certificates etc.

Also, while I'm at it, are there any good Z car parts/mechanics places in Sydney?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:25 pm 
Your best bet for a club would be the Sydney Z Club... http://www.zcarclub.com.au

They'll be able to help you out heaps I would imagine. There are lots of Z's in the club and heaps of modified ones too, I'm sure you'll be able to get advice about your brake conversion among other tings.

Post subject: Big stoppers for the Z
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:19 pm 
Guru

Have a look at my master plan for my 2003 version 250ZG.
It uses Holden VT V8 rotors and calipers.
I doubt that this hardware will ever become short in supply! :wink:
More info is available, email me.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290575481
Check out images #43 - #47. :D
The rear brakes will be R31 Skyline discs.

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject: brakes
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:22 pm 
Very easy this one: Best conversion is HJ60 Lancruiser 4 spot callipers or 1988 on Hi- lux 4 spots. Use Maxima or U13 Bluebird front rotors.
Calipers will bolt straight up to your 240z struts.
There is or was a site outlining this conversion.
From a reasonable priced wrickers you would pay $65 each for the calipers, (making sure they have all locking pins and clips), The rotors would be $50 to $60 at most from the wreckers. This will give you great looking 4 spots, vented rotors and awesome stopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:03 pm 
Do the bluebird/maxima rotors go straight on??Arent they FWD?
Do they go on, by changing the bearing part of the hub??
info will be helpfull.
How about getting disc's on the back? Is there any cheap way?
And what master cyl to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:29 am 
I can't see how the U13 will fit on without machining. They have centre hole of 68mm and 240Z has 81mm. Also offset is different by 6 mm and 9mm larger dia. But anything is possible with a bit of machining and stuffing around.
Use the DBA web site www.dba.com.au/catalogue/ to check variations.

Easiest for rear is 85 Pintara discs and there has been plenty of discussion on this in the past.

As for master cylinder - that just determines how much pressure is applied but won't help braking effect and ability to withstand heat build up which is what you are aiming to overcome with vented discs etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:30 pm 

Mike,

I have completed this conversion at least half a dozen times now for members of the Sydney Z car club. I do the job start to finish for $600 using the 260Z hubs & Magna vented disc or $700 using the 240Z hubs & Accord vented discs.
If more info is required, contact me at (nixcars@1earth.net)

Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:55 pm 
is that using the landcruiser calipers?
Does the magna discs bolt up to 260z hub, or do they need to be drilled and machined??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:16 pm 
for the m/c, you could use a 280zx dual reserviour 15/16" one, i think that was series 1.

There are a few writeups on this on the Zed sites, i think from memory its almost a direct bolt up except that the rods are a different length