Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:08 pm 

Great thanks Jono, Steve seems to use your paint stripping technique as the benchmark. I think it was the best he has ever seen!! I had got the door perfect on the outside and took to the blasters for a once over and tidy up however, I'm a bit disappointed as now it has some warps in the lower part. Will see what can be done there and chat to Steve. I think it got to hot unfortunately...

Let me know when you have the quarters ready and I can pop out. Appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 pm 

Trent.
Back from Holiday. I can come around tomorrow if you are available?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:11 pm 

Hi All,

Update from the weekend. Unfortunately only 4 hours Saturday avo, will have to make a massive effort next weekend and during this week. The remaining 3 doors will be sent off to the blasters and hopefully in etch primer by the end of next week.

With some great help from Nik, the spare wheel well is in, well sitting in there and about 1/3 welded in. Got some great welding tips and will have it completed this week I hope.

Also the section under the right rear guard is nearly completed. Just one more piece to make up and then weld it in. Will make it up next weekend, I can't take credit for the nice welds there.

Also holes, as you can see some more welding up the holes and will grind them back but lots more to do. :)

Some great progress this weekend thanks to Nik and his help!

All feedback welcome.

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4984.JPG [ 93.9 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_4982.JPG [ 249.62 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_4978.JPG [ 45.89 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:22 pm 

wow good weekends effort there gents. all coming together nicely.

:thumbsup:

jonno

What was that hole in the engine bay in front of the left wheel arch used for??

71' datsun 1600 - the project

90' 180sx - bit of sh*t skid machine. one day sr20det donor for the 1600.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm 

Likewise Jonno, been re-reading your thread tonight as well....

It's a speed hole, like the one Homer put in his bonnet ;)

Originally the car had a CA18 in it. There was an intercooler underneath the front bumper so there is also another hole like this on the drivers side. So I kinda understand there is a hole there (I don't agree with it but I understand). What I don't understand is what's going on with the shape of it! Laziness? one part is rounded, why not do it properly.... It's quite a few hours there and the one on the other size is worse as it comes up the strut tower a bit as well...

I was thinking the one on the passenger side, maybe there is a possibility to leave it just tidy it up (round it out) and funnel some cold air to it for the airbox/air cleaner just a thought, not sure what to do there yet.

I had brought a massive whiteboard for the garage today and installed, will start to list out all the tasks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 pm 

much done this week?
how are the doors going?? :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 pm 

Hey Jono,

Well not really, my new mig welder died so I took it back today for repair and will chase it up as quick as possible. I will be taking 2 doors to get bead blasted on Saturday and will post up the results. I have paint stripped the main area of the doors so the bead blasting will be around the edges and the inside, for $40 I really cant be stuffed trying to get it all out. Lets hope the results are good.

I have started on the repair section for one of the intercooler holes. I have some pics, actually wasn't really that nice of a job on my part. I replaced with a single piece of steel and then sanded back the welds, this is where the disaster started, I ground back to much and with a small tap of the hammer went straight through it... OOPS.. So I have fixed that bit again and started to sand back the welds but now I'm not really confident on going further as I dont want to make it worse... Not really sure about this. I know I just need ot grind the welds but its very hard to get just on the weld, any tips? I was thinking of leaving it close to this pic and then a light filler over the top, good/bad/dodgy? I cant say I'm 100% happy with my repair here.

Besides that I had finished welding in the spare wheel well and a very very light run over with the grinder (sanding wheel), ground down a few of the holes that were filled, not a whole lot more.

Next week I want to start that overflow section, trying to think of some ways to make it a bit easier....

oh let me know when your free would like to check out those rear quarters.

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4988.JPG [ 235.19 KiB | Viewed 6376 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:25 pm 

Hi All,

Lots of work this weekend however nothing exciting to show for it at all. Spent saturday running around dropping 2 guards, 1 door & boot lid off at the bead blasters, then purchased the rear end of another datto 1600. The rear quarters on mine are not worth repairing so this should be a better solution, I will take some pics next Saturday when I go down to pick it up.

Spent most of the remaining time removing sound deadener from the underside of the car. Terrible job although I'm about 60% completed so not much more left, a few nights this week, time permitting.

There is some nasty rust in the rail under the drivers side and then also in the passenger side sill. Not to sure how too tackle the sill just yet.

Once I get my MIG welder back from the warranty repair I can get back into sorting out a few bits and pieces.

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4993.JPG [ 133.83 KiB | Viewed 6360 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_4991.JPG [ 222.43 KiB | Viewed 6360 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:31 pm 

coming along trent!
sorry i didnt get back to you about those rear quarters.
Let me know if you need to have a look. sounds like you've got it all under
control though.

ive got some holes in the sills on mine. and i haven't stripped the paint yet :|

all good fun

keep it up :thumbsup:

also something you might want to look into, i use one of these sanders to grind back welds
works a treat and isn't too clumsy
http://www.justtools.com.au/images/e2201.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:24 pm 

No probs at all Jono, yes making progress but nothing super exciting. Should have the welder back in a few hours but no free time tonight. I'm curious to see how you tackle the overflow.

If I can keep up the motivation I will have all the sound deadener removed this week.....It's a chore though.

Keep updating with pics on your build!

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm 

Hi All,

Unless someone tells me I'm doing the wrong thing, I have great experience with a chemical for getting rid of body/sound deadener!

Citrus Solvent! A small spray can from Bunnings, quick blast under the left hand front wheel arch. Left it for 3 hours to eat in. 25 mins of scraping, it's ALL OFF. I plan on having the car bead blasted as well but from a quick scrape with the paint scraper and then wipe down this stuff is awesome! The left wheel arch for me was particularly bad with most of it a min of 5mm thick but the Citrus Solvent just eats it away.

Anyone out there used it?, should I continue to use it? Is it supposed to be this easy? I'm actually looking forward to scraping off the rest now :)

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 pm 

damn you!! i just did the whole underside with a heat gun haha
havent finished the wheel arches yet. might give this a crack..

Will be making my new firewall drain soon will post pics when i do,
just waiting on some steel should be here friday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:09 pm 

I wish I knew earlier as well Jono!

I did a bit more tonight. I founds best to put it on, leave for 30 mins, quick scrape and then a once over with the wire wheel. I have almost finished the underside of the car now. Hopefully at the end of the weekend I can tick off this crummy job.

If you are interested in combining our resources/effort to make the overflow I'm happy to catch up and see what we can both come up with.

Welder is back tonight :)

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm 

Hi All,

Update from the weekend, I was able to get about 12 hours in.

- Extended the engine stands to make them a bit higher for the rotisserie (Bit of a Frankenstein now but they work :))
- Picked up the new/old back of another Datsun, seemed a bit criminal to chop it up but it was destined for the tip. Some people might see a pile of $%^* but there are some treasures in there. Will be cutting out the rear quarters
- Also picked up some of the lower replacement panels for the rear quarters, left and right sides.
- Spent a HUGE amount of time scraping off the body/sound deadener. I'd say by the end of this week it will be all completed, time permitting of course. I'm getting the body blasted as well and think I might be going a bit overboard removing it, but I'm trying to remove every last square mm of the stuff. If I'm making the effort for this crappy job then it might as well be 100%

Plan for this upcoming week:
- Get the panel beater over to check out the progress and maybe some advice for the rear quarters
- Finish scraping off the sound/body deadener
- Start stripping the bonnet
- Pick up the guards and boot lid from the blasters, then off to the panel beater for a blast of etch primer

Lot's of fun and am starting to make some great progress. Not to many pics as it's kind of boring to look at something minus some sound/body deadener....

Pics attached, the one of the underside of the car was on sat lunchtime before I got stuck into the deadener

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5024.JPG [ 269.99 KiB | Viewed 6273 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5021.JPG [ 279.96 KiB | Viewed 6273 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5020.JPG [ 284.07 KiB | Viewed 6273 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5019.JPG [ 166.21 KiB | Viewed 6273 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:09 am 

Finished this morning before work, all body deadener removed from the car, that was an absolutely terrible job! Now onto the remaining paint stripping on the bonnet and remaining passenger side door, a little ahead of schedule for once :)