Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 1600 original seat pics
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:17 pm 

Hi guys im not sure what the original seats look like in a 1600 and was wondering if anyone had any pics?

I think they had no headrests yeah?

Pretty keen on putting some in my car as i have installed harnesses which will hold me in place anyway...
Would like to go for that original look. Also gets rid of all the farting around with seat mounts.

Thanks,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 pm 

This is what they look like. They are hell uncomfortable and should never be put back into a 1600 unless you are restoring it original. They're like sitting on concrete, will break your back, even with harnesses will let you slide around and will squelch in the summer heat on the vinyl.

Some came with headrests, some didn't, I thought the ones that came from a GL model did? Mine did at any rate, so thats the pic you get!
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
DSC02940.jpg [ 173.37 KiB | Viewed 1636 times ]
Sorry, don't really have any good shots of them in the car that I could find except for this close up...
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
DSC02325.jpg [ 153.92 KiB | Viewed 1635 times ]

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:23 pm 

Wow mate thanks for the quick reply.

I think i might give em a go if i can find some nearby for cheap, maybe i can re-stuff them with something softer :lol:

Think its far more stylish than aftermarket seats.

cheers for your help,

chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:36 pm 

Yeah. Give em a go if they're cheap! You might love them! and you can always change your mind if you end up hating them and sell them again later for someone who wants a restore pair of seats!

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 pm 

RJB510 wrote:
This is what they look like. They are hell uncomfortable and should never be put back into a 1600 unless you are restoring it original. They're like sitting on concrete, will break your back, even with harnesses will let you slide around and will squelch in the summer heat on the vinyl.

Some came with headrests, some didn't, I thought the ones that came from a GL model did? Mine did at any rate, so thats the pic you get!
Attachment:
DSC02940.jpg
Sorry, don't really have any good shots of them in the car that I could find except for this close up...
Attachment:
DSC02325.jpg
Your dead right about them being like sitting on concrete (as a minimum you wear the seats rear cross bar as a new not so comfortable part of you coxic). And the main function of the seat belt in a 1600 with stock seats, is to keep you off your passagers lap when cornering moderately. They look cool but a trip of about an hours duration is the most I can handle in them.............
chris1818 wrote:
Wow mate thanks for the quick reply.

I think I might give em a go if I can find some nearby for cheap, maybe I can re-stuff them with something softer :lol:

Think its far more stylish than aftermarket seats.

cheers for your help,

chris
Was thinking along the same lines to get them re upholstered to provide a bit more support, and keep a fixed back for track days - would only take about half an hour to swap it over

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:03 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

pretty sure the headrests came in to meet australian design rules (ADR) as a couple stocky early models i have owned had factory blanking plugs in the seat upper and all of the later models had headrests.

Factory seats arnt hard like concrete. They actually go soft and doughy when the springs sag. Even after restoration they slip and slide as mentioned earlier get sweaty in the heat and arnt the nicest seat to drive on...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:47 pm 

Thanks for the input guys, i know a mate of mine had standard seats in one of his cars and he had a harness in there for whenever he went for a fang, said it held him no probs if he had it nice and tight.

However for the track it obviously wont be very good.

Will have a look around and see if i can give em a go.

Nick i get the impression you're a bit of a parts hoarder, you got anything lying around?

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:33 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I dont have any seats atm but they do come up from time to time.
I think there were some stockies in the classifieds from memory.
Last pair of seats i put into a 510 were some Recaro SE's and they are a sweet seat that works with the std 1600 floor mounts pretty well.
With your car looking so nice thesedays if you cant find some mint stockies i'd look at getting some new recaro/bride seat mounts and then find a seat to suit.
That way its legal and nothing has been custom made that needs engineering etc...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 am 

they sorta look like 1200 seats, which are equally uncomfy when they get worn :(

is there any other cool lookin seats of similar style but more comfy? something out of a zed maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:06 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I have a set of 200B seats that are made out of black vinyl very similar to 1600 items. If you could find a set of those (although I don't know where you would other than in my spare parts collection) then they would be okay, they're reasonably comfortable. I drove from Wollongong to Mount Eliza on them.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.