Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:09 pm 

Hi guys well the datto is going well since the datsport brakes and suspension conversion REAL well!

Problem: on the weekend i went to get my gaurds rolled only to discover alot of bog and rust in the rear gaurds :evil:
and was advised against going any further we then went over the car and discovered 10cm x 10cm area of the rear wheel gaurd from inside the car next to the seat full of rust and now my roof sills have all of a sudden started splitting and bubbling with rust :evil:
so i feel like a sucker now as it was disguised extremely well when i purchased the car....
Upon further inspection the rust has been bogged over, then the car resprayed so no rust was treated or removed prior to the respay "dodgy operation to sell car me thinks"

so with a few different opinions now from local panel/paint shops they are advising to get a new shell but i dont want to just scrap another poor old datsun body, and if you guys think its worth while saving her i'd like to know!!!! then i'll maybe look into trying to do as much work as i can myself. But if you think i should try for a new shell i'd also like to hear your opinions and advice on where to get one and what to look for when buying one....

I have looked through some forum posts but would like some fresh ideas!!!

Tahnks again for your help :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm 

everythings repairable mate it just depends on 1) how much mony you have 2) how much can you do yourself 3) do you have accsess to a mig. post sum pics of the dammage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:00 pm 

Mate, anything is repairable. Many people will tell you, it just depends on what old tin has said above.

My example. Read my build thread. Had to repair both rear quarters, Spare wheel well, both sills chopped off and rewelded thicker ones on. Front guards both needed repairs, all doors needed repairs, the entire drivers front floor was cut out and replaced... The list goes on. I had no experience before I started mine (I have had previous welding experience using a stick welder but not car body repairs). I forked out $1k for a welder, did a lot of reading and a lot of trial and error, took my time and did it all myself. Learning as i went.

If it were me... I'd do it myself!

Post some pics, we'd be more than happy to give advice.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:07 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Obviously difficult to say without seeing pictures, but I've seen some cars bought back from what looked like very terminal rust. The thing with trying to find a new body is that it could be just as bad as the one you already have. Sometimes it's best to bite your tongue and work with what you have.

As for the panel beater, I had a mechanic say something similar about a 200B I have now, it had a small hole in the engine bay he said wasn't worth repairing due to the value (or lack thereof) of the car. A friend and I fixed it (with a welder) in about four hours, so worth it I think! It is quite likely that the panel beater doesn't know how hard it can be to find a good 1600 shell, hence why they say "find a new one".

Anyway, post some pictures up, but I say fix it :)

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm 

if you just want a car to drive and enjoy then look around find a good shell (will prob cost you $$$) swap the parts that your attached to, wheels datsport suspension etc and be done with it. fixing the rust will likely cost you more money and more time and you would have to assume there will be more in other areas of the car.

however having said that if i were you i would have a crack at fixing it and here is why

1) I tend to get attached to cars, and if it were my car i wouldn't want to see the shell get cut up. It seems so waste-full after 40 years to just scrap the car when its possible to fix it

2) I like doing things myself and learning how to do things and when you take on such a project you will learn a shitload

3) i just would

But if you do elect to have a crack at fixing it my advise would be buy another car anyway. often these things drag on for years so expect it to take this long and find somthing else to drive in the mean time.

The other option is cover it back up and pretend its not there :lol: though im sure no one here will advise that one.
Sucks bad mate good luck with it though

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:06 pm 

good luck finding a shell without sum rust. you realy dont know unless you strip the paint so depending how bad it is i would fix what you have. the workshops in townsville are second rate at best and wouldnt see the value of putting fuel in a datsun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:12 pm 

I've done mine as a weekend car. But needed a full respray and all the rust cut out. If you want it as a quick daily then don't look to getting it done too fast.

It depends on if you want to paint it yourself too. If the paint is good in surrounding area's (which mine was not - hence why its dragged on) then i'd probably do it like this:
I'd repair the parts I could as best I could (especially if there is someone on this forum willing to help, or someone who's done it before), once you get into it, it'll be a lot more straight forward and easier to do. Body fill it as best you can. Get a cheap spray gun and do the primer etc yourself. Then take it to the spray painters and get them to colour and clear it. Should be heaps cheaper. You'll have the rust cut out, and it'll hopefully finish nicely.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm 

if you do give it a go yourself do alot of research and dont just bog it up like i did on my 180b which im regretting and started again recently :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:08 pm 
Old Digger

I'm of the opinion the panel beater you spoke to is not really a panel bester more a panel replacer.

As others have said it will depend on what you can do your self and how much money you have. The best bet is to get the shell stripped back to bare metal so you know what has to be done. Then take it from there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 pm 

My advice, just keep driving it. Rust isn't going to stop the car from running and being enjoyable.

To many people get carried away wanting a 100 perfect car and end up having something that just sits in the garage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:04 pm 

ForumJockey wrote:
My advice, just keep driving it. Rust isn't going to stop the car from running and being enjoyable.

To many people get carried away wanting a 100 perfect car and end up having something that just sits in the garage.
its funny you say this, this is pretty much my plan as much as i try to denie it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:08 pm 

ForumJockey wrote:

thats the way i did mine. repair it bit buy bit until you are redy to paint that way it is still on the road and the job dosnt get out of control

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:43 pm 

i just searched for all knew panels for my 180b and fixed them up while driving it as a daily, so now i only have to do the body!

sorry off topic a little bit. maybe just get a panel beater to weild new quater panels in by the looks of that elec dizzy your selling you have some cash :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm 

Hi guys!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great opinions and advice, once again . I think i'll have a go at fixing the old girl because i also had this strange feeling that i should take that path.

As was said at least i'll know whats been done and thaty it was done "properly".

However i am moving to Victoria to a place called Ballarat in June with my family so i think it'd be best to wait until then to start the project, as i wish to get the sr20 fitted and engineered before we move. This way i can road trip it by myself and the wife and kids are flying down a month later. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With this in mind do you think she'll be right until then or should i take some preventitive methods in the meantime :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:32 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Tavis wrote:
I am moving to Victoria to a place called Ballarat in June with my family so I think it'd be best to wait until then to start the project, as I wish to get the sr20 fitted and engineered before we move. This way I can road trip it by myself and the wife and kids are flying down a month later. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With this in mind do you think she'll be right until then or should I take some preventitive methods in the meantime :D
There's a fairly big Datsun scene in Ballarat and plenty of guys with 1600 parts so I'd wait until you get there and settle in :thumbsup:

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.