Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: ECU wiring
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:36 am 

Hey all,

I'm currently wiring an LTX8s to my FJ20t. The problem I have found is this:

I need to get an ignition on feed for the ECU (obviously). When you go to start, the power from ignition on cuts out. So what I have done is use the wire that goes to the coil during starting (Black w/ blue tracer) and an ignition on feed together. Problem is there is a noticeable gap going from start to run. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to rectify this? What have you guys with aftermarket ECU's (Microtech especially) done? Is it a case of a too worn out switch?

Thanks
Iggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:18 am 

Ive had this problem with some switches where they loose voltage between start and run.You can either find a switch that doesnt do this probably something from a newer car or you can just use the switch to turn things on then just wire in a start button and relay if it doesnt already have a relay.

S13 Silvia
12.9@109mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:29 am 

Yeah I was thinking about a start button. If worse comes to worse that is what I'll do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:09 pm 

For those that are interested:

I solved the problem by wiring in a capacitor in the signal and ground pins of the EFI relay(I forget the pin numbers). Works a treat! There is now no gap between start and run. Thanks to Terry from the Ozdat mailing list!

Last edited by dat16v on Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:57 am 

Hey Dat 16V,

Can you give some feedback on the LT8s????

I'm looking at that as my prefered option for my 1600 / FJ20-T

Anything yo could say would be appreciated, especially wiring simplicity / difficulty, base map, any little tricks or changes needed to the base setup etc.....

What type of throttle body and cold start setup do you run, I've got a 3 wire TPS (Ford brand but not sure on the actual donor car)

I gather your using the quad coil pack, thats the same way I wanted to go and I'm presumung you use the wires from the distributor as the input wires on the ECU for timing (don't mind me my terminology could be backwards / wrong).

Sorry about hijacking the threat

Cheers and I owe beers!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 pm 

Swanny,
Quote:
Anything yo could say would be appreciated, especially wiring simplicity / difficulty, base map, any little tricks or changes needed to the base setup etc.....
I found wiring pretty simple. I took my time and got it done over a couple of nights.
Quote:
What type of throttle body and cold start setup do you run, I've got a 3 wire TPS (Ford brand but not sure on the actual donor car)
Throttle body and TPS are both standard. The TPS is the switch type but the Microtech can be configured for either. Cold start is handled by the standard IAC valve under the manifold.
Quote:
I gather your using the quad coil pack, thats the same way I wanted to go and I'm presumung you use the wires from the distributor as the input wires on the ECU for timing (don't mind me my terminology could be backwards / wrong).
I'm not using a quad coil setup. My Microtech is configured to fire just one coil, but it should be much the same. I was a bit worried about wiring up the dizzy/CAS but the loom Microtech gave me even had the same colors -Red, Black, Green, White.

Only issue I have is that I am having problems getting an ignition pulse from the CAS. I thought it might be my CAS so I put the CAS on a scope here at work and it is putting out a square wave on both the cylinder reference and the degree reference (whatever it's called).

So currently the CAS, CAS loom(seperate from main loom) and the ECU are going back to Microtech to be checked out. I think it might be how they setup the ECU. I'm not in a hurry so it's no biggie and I think this is one of the first LTX8s that they have done for the FJ. Just a little annoying set back.

I'll know more next week. Hope that helps

Iggy