Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:24 pm 

Today I picked up the first Jap car I've ever owned. I've wanted a JDM classic for a while but couldn't find 'the right' example for ages. I was convinced I was going to buy a 620 ute last time I wanted a car but when I found out they were 6-stud only, weren't fitted with L-series motors in Australia and it was basically impossible to find in a SWB tubbed version in Australia, I just gave up and bought what I knew better - another Torana.

Anyway, my mate of quite some time Ryan (wiseys180 here on Ozdat) linked me to an eBay auction of this car mid last week. We checked it out after Hanging Rock last weekend and took it for a test drive. Looked better in the ad but we agreed it was pretty damn cool in a lot of ways. We came to a deal with the bloke and I picked it up this morning with an unreg vehicle permit and drove it home from country vic with no dramas apart from a **** huge huntsman crawling out from part of the interior when I was driving through the Bell st tunnel, ahhhh! what an experience!

Anyway I don't think I've ever seen one of these before, particularly not a wagon. It's got 5 studs on a 114.3 PCD so it's an alright stud pattern but very unusual for old Datsun (four stud would have been nicer I think, oh well). It has a double wishbone front end with a steering box and a swaybar. The rear end is a crude banjo-style live axle on leafs with heavily inclined shocks. It's got a 3spd dogleg pattern column shift manual (although doing research led me to believe the car would have a 4spd?), two-piece tailshaft, hydraulic clutch (which is way too light at the pedal end), and some really ugly stockies that will hopefully not be on the car for much longer

This is as I bought it, taken today:
[ img ]

Here are some more pics. These are all absolutely as it came, didn't even wash or vacuum it before taking these photos. It obviously is far from perfect but it's pretty damn good. The panels line up and the interior is neat. A little bit of rust in the sills and in the bottom of the guards. The paint is cactus but I'm not gonna fix it - a bit of patina will be a refreshing change for me!
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

I just pulled the wheels off and brushed out the dirt & sh*t in the arches, probably give them a coat of asphalt paint some time soon. And I trial fitted some 15x8 Rally wheels I had lying around...
[ img ]
Could be a good option... maybe they are a bit plain

And all I've done since then is got it up high and pressure washed it all underneath and in the engine bay but it was dark when I finished so no photos of that yet.

I am just going to spend as much time as I can spare cleaning up little bits and pieces, gummed up surfaces, fixing up little trims and restoring parts as best I can and then I'll take it in for a roadworthy inspection. I want to know if I can fit some AU wagon factory gas scuba tanks under the dickie seat in the back and then I'll be laughing. Might need to change the diff ratio too though

I am basically looking for any parts cars that exist (not looking for rust repair sections, just other stuff), and to communicate with anyone who knows about these, I just have so many technical questions I want to ask lol. I wanna know all about what parts are universal with other things, what trim levels we got in Australia and how they correspond with features etc

If you've got a keen eye you will notice that a 330 bumper has been retrofitted onto this car and it is ugly as sin. I am chasing a 230 front bumper (doesn't need to be perfect) and valence panel (can be rough). I also need a left tail light (don't know if I'll actually be able to find one, may need to improvise), along with a bit of interior trim here and there, and I'm sure I'll think of a lot of other things too.

Let me know what you reckon anyway.

1999 GXE10

Last edited by Hezath on Wed May 20, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:24 am 

F U C K yeah!! when are we hitting up the wreckers. Al sent me a photo of the wagon that was down there however it was a 330 and it was missing the rear left tail light. however he was saying there is a sedan at the wreckers near him. may be a 230

and you need to get the right bumper asap. That one annoys me every time a look at it. the 230 is so much better and nicer indicators too

And what do you reckon the weird thing plugged into the brake line is?? looks a bit like a bias valve :? would be awesome as if it came with a factory bias valve

And new mirrors ASAP

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:40 pm 

looks pretty straight Heath. Whats your plans for it? i like the fold up seats in the rear. does it have any of the crazy japanese options ive seen or heard of some with some weird extras.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:05 pm 

Yeah it's straight overall but it's not straight-straight, like lots of small dings and most of them I'm realistically not going to fix

It's got quite a few little unusual features. The side rear window (in the cargo area) is electric and goes down into the guard. The folding dicky seat is pretty quirky I reckon. It has a light in the engine bay but that may not be factory. A light above the radio which is pretty neat. The trays under the dash, winding mechanism to pull the spare tyre up underneath the arse like a Hilux, and other bits here and there but I can't recall them all specifically.

My plans are to get it on dedicated gas, lower it with some adjustable air shocks or airbags in the back (I would like to tow with it eventually, but more importantly just filling it with car parts or 8 people weighs a bit so I want to be able to adjust it on the fly. Obviously get some nice fat wheels and give it a bit of stance, finish cleaning things up and getting the original systems working etc, then just cruise the wheels off it. I'll probably chase a bit of torque out of it, might put a small turbo on there to make it a better towcar, but it will not be raced in any shape or form haha. I've removed the mudflaps and the poxy left hand mirror too, might try and get some nice looking fender mirrors for it, but the priority is getting it on the road with the right bumper and stuff.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Nice one Heath - these are pretty sweet cars. I sent Wisey those photos, the sedan down my way has the bumper that I'm certain yours should have. I had a look at it yesterday and with a polish it will be perfect. Fit some nice wheels, lower it and an exhaust and this thing will be a sweet cruiser. Don't chop up the interior though, it would be irreplaceable!

There aren't too many of these barges around, so whatever you do will be something quite unique.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm 

Where exactly is the one down your way al?? we are prob going to hit up some wreckers tomorrow arvo

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:56 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The wreckers is called Harvey Wreckers.

http://harveywreckers.com.au/index.php? ... 1&Itemid=5

I've just remembered too that I have a set of 260C hubcaps, so if you want to come to mine you can see how they look. I live about five minutes from there. Wisey has my number.

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm 

google for some pics if you need inspiration...

http://oldjapanesecar.proboards.com/ind ... age=1#5341

[ img ]
1974/75 Datsun 260C estate (230) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

[ img ]
1974/75 Datsun 260C estate (230) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

[ img ]
Datsun 260C Wagon by winsider, on Flickr

[ img ]
Datsun 260C Wagon by winsider, on Flickr

:wink: :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 pm 

The grill and front on the red one is sick!! We went to center road and harveys today and unfortunately both only had a 330 series 260c which has the same bumper as heath already has :(

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm 

Yeah went all the way down to that wreckers to be bitterly disappointed, only 330s in sight. Couldn't even find any electronic dizzys. Have cash ready for wheels, bumper bar, gas tanks, electronic ignition etc.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Cedric

I always thought that the 230 had round headlights and the 330 had square headlights? I could be wrong of course. Sorry for making you drive all that way :(

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 pm 

They both come with round and square. ahhh well, the wrecker down your way was friendly and cheap though.

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Fair enough. Yeah they are really good there, shame they crushed all but one of their Datsuns :( what did you get from the sedan?

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 pm 

Nothing, but the prices for all the parts they didn't have any of were great and the dude at the front was really nice (particularly unusual for a wrecking yard lol).

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:36 pm 

Good to see a datsun enthusiast grabbing this. Do the 230 wagons come with an electric rear quarter window like the later models?

Bench seat front and back + dicky seats is the shizz, need to load it up and grab a picture.