Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:42 pm 

would you be interested in fixing this all up for me if i was to post you both my control unit, and my coil driver? ive semi assembled the coil driver but im starting to worry its dont goin to work as im no sparky. id be more than happy to pay you for the time you spend on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 pm 

Yeah, I got no dramas with that. I'm actually pretty close to having mine installed, using the S2BB dizzy also - should have that done tonight so I'll drop you a PM tomorrow evening at the latest with the details and we'll take it from there if that works for you ?
Once mine is up and running with the same dizzy setup it should be pretty easy to get yours ready to roll :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 pm 

thanks very much mate, cant wait.. took it for a quick lap to charge the battery last night, its really sluggish off the start, i think timing and dyno should sort that out. but when it gets high revs 3rd gear its really impressive. i looked on ebay last night, map sensors for 1-15 psi are alot cheaper than expected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:24 pm 

The jaycar kit seems to do what it claims, with one problem so far ( using 3-part kit and S2BB dizzy & module ).

When it's sorted out the ability to tune the ignition map should improve the midrange - feels like there's more torque there - and definitely feels more willing to rev also.

Problem is a false trigger causing the controller to lose the plot momentarily - this is BAD, since the kit controller suddenly thinks the motor is revving at 3-6k instead of 600rpm and sends a bunch of extra sparks out at all the wrong times until the next 2 "correct" trigger pulses pull it back into line. I thought this might be the output from the S2BB module, but a few tests have suggested otherwise - with the dizzy running the show and the controller just taking a feed from the module (coil -ve) for testing there is no false trigger. So I put the kit controller in charge and hung a live coil off the dizzy module's output to simulate a normal load on it, but the false trigger returned. Threw a points dizzy on to see if it would run from that, but again, false triggering - which seems to rule out the spark/reluctor interference I suspected.

So at this stage there's a false trigger that looks like it only happens with the coil driver module hooked up, and that's after going the extra yard separating the wires and even adding earthed foil screening to the dizzy module's output wire right back to the firewall. Input and output aren't playing nice, and it's pretty damn frustrating given I've gone over and above all the recommendations provided with the kit and used a bit of electronic experience as well to make it all "right". Suffice to say my neighbours may have learned some choice new words over the last few days. :evil:

I will get it sorted, but having removed the kit for now I am reminded of just how well the stock S2BB dizzy works with a Bosch HEC715 coil. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm 

Hi Johnny,

I'm just curious whether you've managed to solve your problem with the Jaycar kit. I faced a similar issue with mine; I haven't actually found the cause of the problem but I worked around it. See full description below.

I was setting up the kit in a VK Commodore EFI, which uses a very similar HEI distributor setup. I also went with the points/ignition module trigger version and ended up with unstable RPM readings and sparks all over the place - once I even saw the crankshaft jerk backwards before it finally stopped!

I removed the kit and went back to the standard distributor setup while I worked on some bench tests to try to get to the bottom of it. I got a second hand Hall Effect speed sensor with the intention of spinning its shaft with a drill and letting it trigger the ignition controller, however I had to modify the circuit from a 100 ohm 12V pull-up to a 1 kohm 5V pull-up to get it to work, which meant that I wasn't testing the same circuit as the one I tried to use in the car. I could not reproduce the problem with that setup.

I changed it back to the 100 ohm resistor and connected the kit to the car again, this time using a common earth point for the controller and coil driver, just in case, and still had the same problem. Went back to the drawing board and came up with the idea of using a GM 8-pin ignition module - the one used with a Delco 808 ECU in the JE Camira, N13 pulsar and some other cars. The module connects to the reluctor pickup coil, provides a reference output for the ECU and accepts a timing control input. After some hours of searching, I found some usable info about the module's interface and concluded that it should work with the Jaycar kit.

I got a module with plugs and wiring from a Pulsar at Pick-a-Part, did some bench tests with it and it seemed to work fine. I pulled out my distributor, fit the module to it, bench tested with the kit and still got good results. I disabled the dizzy's advance mechanisms, put it back in the car, tried running the engine without the Jaycar kit connected and it worked fine. I connected the kit to it, tried again and was pleased with the outcome - stable RPM reading, stable timing, all good!

It's possible that it would have worked better in the "Reluctor Trigger" version, however I didn't feel like going to all the trouble of soldering and wiring that one; also I think this setup is cleaner electrically, as the reluctor wiring is confined to the distributor area.

So, there we go, if you're still struggling with it, that's one route you could take. If you've already sorted yours out, hopefully this post can still help someone else. You can find more info on the GM ignition module at http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm. To use it with the Jaycar kit, set up the circuit as per the "Engine Management Trigger" layout - the simplest one - and select Low Edge triggering in the Settings menu. Also, add a 5V wire and an earth wire to the kit cabling, which then connect to the ignition module along with the trigger and output wires.