Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 pm 

The gold piece in the photo is the spacer rings.

[ img ]

RE new ideas. You'll find a few people will say the new ideas are sh*t because it conflicts with their business.

Using an S13 or 14 crossmember, or S13 knuckles etc as an example. If someone spent the time to see if you can mix and match readily available parts to get them to work, that would threaten some core sales of particular datsun specific companies doing fitting kits and calipers brackets etc.

Alot of it is politics and old men not rolling with the times. As Egg Chen said in Big trouble in little China "Take what you want, leave the rest, just like your salad bar".

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 pm 
Guru

burubado wrote:
Thanks for the awesome answers! Isn't it nice when there's no crap? lol

4mm more out isn't an issue for me. I'm running 14x7 with -14mm offset which is not really enough for me. I'm planning on getting wider and more -ve offset wheels (or get outers spun) anyway as I am planning on using bolt on flares in the future.

less camber is ok - I'm going to be using camber tops which will rectify that.

I will be using a coilover setup, so the spring seat doesn't affect me

With the hub discussion, does anyone know if I can use the 180B hub on the r31 coilover? I may just need to give it a go I guess..

six-ten, not keen on running big brakes - they won't fit behind my 14s and I don't want larger wheels otherwise the car will look like a caricature. haha

Thanks again!
neg 14 WTF, minimum pos 14 otherwise you are more concerned with looks than drivability.
If you increase over zero it will not track straight & will dart all over the place when braking on uneven surface.
Just do some calcs & work out how much scrub radius you will end up with.
If you want to fill the arches then extend the LCAs with the R31 struts.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm 

sorry it was +1 not -14.
really bad typo!!
I haven't had any issues driving hard with negative offset wheels in the past, I think most of the negativity out there is rumor. I can understand if you're running extreme negative offset, but these aren't anywhere near extreme when it comes to the type of wheels they used on these cars in japan in the 70's, 80's and onwards.

I'm currently running:
Front... 14x7JJ + one offset 165/60R14
Rear... 14x7.5JJ + 9 offset 165/60R14
Spare... 14x6.5JJ +6 offset 165/55R14

Just because bob-jane only sells +40 doesn't mean everything else is sh*t :P
(I'm not having a go or anything at you baz, i know you are a datto guru, i'm just speaking generally!)

The look of the wheels are important to me, the style i'm using as inspiration demands it. But i'm not being silly with -100 offset wheels just to look cool. I do like to be able to drive my car too!

Thanks for the explaination of spacer rings, i thought it was an entirely different component, thanks for explaining!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:40 pm 
Guru

[quote RE new ideas. You'll find a few people will say the new ideas are sh*t because it conflicts with their business.

Using an S13 or 14 crossmember, or S13 knuckles etc as an example. If someone spent the time to see if you can mix and match readily available parts to get them to work, that would threaten some core sales of particular datsun specific companies doing fitting kits and calipers brackets etc.

Alot of it is politics and old men not rolling with the times. [/quote]
whew!
im an ""old man" and I got heaps of flack when we redesigned the front end of 16s & pioneered R31 strut conversions.
So not all ""old men"" dont roll with the times. :woohoo:

If you have been able to solve the massive bump steer problem of using S13 knuckles with out dodgy spacing of the tie rod ends
please share as we have not been able to do so without expensive reworking of the knuckles. :cheers

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Last edited by Baz on Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:44 pm 
Guru

pos 1 will be usable. Just not optimal.
as I said anything over zero is not practical.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:04 pm 

Can someone tell me the ID for the r31 struts base hole (OD of spacer ring)

I would go measure myself, but im away from home :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:31 am 

31 and 610 is the same pcd and very similar offsets. What I'd do if you're going to run a 31 strut and hub set up would be to run sr20 front hubs and brakes hubs will give about 5mm more poke unfortunately but they're 284mm and you can get a 31 engineered with them and pull up pretty dang well!