Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Grille Suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 pm 

Hey All,
Been fooling around with my Datto front end stencil. Now to all you artists out there dont cane my drawings it is rough and ready i know. Even though i like the twin headlight front on the 1600's, I have never liked the way the front indicators sit and i feel the shape is wrong in comparison with the other lines of the body.
They also don't fit flush. What i thought was to remove all the old grilles and headlamp shrouds + indicators.
Mould a total 1 piece grille with a larger centre opening backed up with stainless heavier mesh.
The style is kind of in keeping with the age but will completely smooth out the front end. Sit flush with the guards and bonnet to look clean.
Light replacements? well there are a few options. I have seen the new types that have indicators or park lights built into the 7" housings which would eliminate the need for the old setup.
One thought was using round smaller LED indicator/park lamp combos like Roadsters which would be in keeping with the old school look.
Second is using new car shape DRL as park and indicator setup.
Headlights would be set in a little but still adjustable.
I would be interested in any thoughts. I'm sure i'm not the only one who has thought about changing the grilles.
I have some more stuff on a front air dam with round holes for either fog lamps or brake ducts but that's another story.
:D

Attachments:
1600grille2.pdf [429.28 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times
1600grille1.pdf [313.01 KiB]
Downloaded 135 times
[ attachment ]
2012-02-06 10.03.38.jpg [ 605.13 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]

Post subject: Re: Grille Suggestions?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 am 

Interesting - I can see the possibilities. Would be great to see in the flesh, as putting it all into context would be the best decider.

That said, if you do go ahead, I'd be interested in buying the existing grille and all the surrounds, eyebrows, etc and the Datsun grille badge.

Roger

Now a weekend driver, instead of a daily.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:41 pm 

I will be making the actual replica itself next week but thought it would be better to have some feedback before i start.
A lot of time goes into making the plugs for moulds and not a small amount of $$ spent as well.
I will be selling my original grilles etc but i will have to see if they are straight. To be fair i have just removed them and didnt take much notice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 pm 

gl

Last edited by midlifecrisisss on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:36 am 

ok so grilles are all pulled out and i still think its going to neaten up the front.
ive laid out the backing and done some rough foam work to give me an idea of shape and style.
if this bad weather can stay away i can get into it some more.
as for keeping it simple i cant see how the original grilles and eyebrows were simple. there is at least 5 pieces and all easily bent or broken.
my intent is to have a smooth 1 piece grille section that is lighter and neater than stock.
it should also provide better airflow.
made from epoxy with kevlar so it takes the necessary hits without busting a radiator plus looking different.
it may not work but modding is all about trying new things :D