Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 pm 

Hi guys, my name is Camilo Monroy, I live in Colombia, I have a major in Geology and a Datsun lover. I have been reading this forum for some months because I found that Australia and Colombia had some Datsuns in common, wich weren´t commercialized in USA or even in another country of America like the Bluebird, or the Cedrics (130, 230, 330 and 430), and I decided to make a post because today Mitchell AKA Wormtail1 convinced me to do it.

I have three Datsuns, a 1980 2+2 280ZX, a 1982 910 hardtop Bluebird with megasquirt, and recently purchased a 2 door hardtop 1973 260C.

Let´s begin with a little family story ...
One of these was my first car after having been for years the family car, in 1992, when I finished the school my dad gave it to me because of my great love for the car, but a year later my dad had a terrible accident by the negligence of a truck driver and the car was totaled. For a long time I kept seeing the few 260C that survived getting in worse shape ... when i finally had the money to buy one I couldn’t find one, until last week that the car showed up on a local car sales website , and immediately did the purchase without even thinking about the mechanical, exterior and interior .. .. why? You´ll see later
First, the pictures of the website.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

As you see the car needs a lot of work but I don´t care, is the car of my dreams and now I have it, is mine :D

The objective is a resto -mod, I´m thinking of using the engine and gearbox of a 280ZX.

Mechanically, the steering is loose, (don´t know how to describe it in English), the gearbox is really bad and the suspension is too soft, I feel like I’m sailing while i drive.....

The exterior needs too much work, but i don´t care... why?, at the Nissan dealer, where I buy the parts, there are doors, fenders, rear quarters, roofs, hoods, trunk lids, glasses, chrome trim, everything is NOS.

Also found some lights, light bezels, and a part of the grill.

I have a spare electric fender mirror wich I was going to use on the 910, but I think they will fit nicely on the 260C.

The interior is decent, but again needs a lot of work, but i have found the center console, door sills, a cluster, Radio bezel, steering wheel and the column cover, a tray that goes under the dashboard. Also, i’m so lucky that my car had a Panasonic "cockpit ", the cockpit looks just like this ...

[ img ]

Now, the worst things considering there is no chance i could find NOS pieces or even used.. the left rear window is sealed and has no motor or switch; door panels are in really bad shape; the tail lights are really really bad , i have only found the red part of the right side; the badge that goes over the trunk lock is completely damaged; the trunk remote opener system is missing, I found an electric motor that works on the 430 remote system, and I think it could be adapted; and the hood opener pull knob is missing, but I’m almost sure that the one that goes on the 240Z is the same, as long as the armrest, that’s why I purchased a pair on ebay.

Here are the pics of the things that I found, some of them are the last one here.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Once the car will be painted, i'll buy the chrome trim, and the sheet metal parts.

I hope you enjoyed reading my post, and could be understandable.

cheers

Last edited by camilo on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I knew another guy from Bogota who owned a 430 Cedric, Enrique Duarte is his name, do you know him? It's interesting to see another Cedric enthusiast find us on OZDAT! Welcome friend! :hug:

There can't be too many 230 anythings left, let alone a coupe! What a great find. I also can't believe you have so many NOS parts over there. Fascinating. I have one of these coupes too, if you need something, drop me a PM, I have a few spares and might have something for you or know where you could look to find it.

Keep posting your progress with this car, we'd love to see what you do with it. All the best to you and welcome to this site!

:cheers

PS (Thanks Mitch for getting him to post!)

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 pm 

Hi Camilo! great work on your post. Your english is very good and makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup: I am also still in awe that you could buy those NOS parts from the nissan dealership, I am quite jealous actually. Your coupe looks like a really good base to start with and with all the new panels you can buy you are really lucky. I hope to see more pictures on here as you get stuck into the car. :hug: Mark aka ozconnection is a really good contact and I have dealt with him and i rate him 100% as a good trader

yours in cedrics

mitch

1974 B120

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:25 am 

ozconnection wrote:
I knew another guy from Bogota who owned a 430 Cedric, Enrique Duarte is his name, do you know him? It's interesting to see another Cedric enthusiast find us on OZDAT! Welcome friend! :hug:

There can't be too many 230 anythings left, let alone a coupe! What a great find. I also can't believe you have so many NOS parts over there. Fascinating. I have one of these coupes too, if you need something, drop me a PM, I have a few spares and might have something for you or know where you could look to find it.

Keep posting your progress with this car, we'd love to see what you do with it. All the best to you and welcome to this site!

:cheers

PS (Thanks Mitch for getting him to post!)
Hi Mark, thanks for the welcome. The 430 was a very common car, the people prefered them over the Mercedes Benz and BMW at that time. I don´t know the guy you're telling me, unfortunately here in Colombia, we, the Datsun owners, don´t have a Club, or a website, nor even a group on facebook, so i know very few Datsun enthusiasts.

After some research, i think the few things I´m not gonna find here are the taillights, the rear quarters side markers, the badges, and the ornament that goes on the trunk lock.
wormtail1 wrote:
Hi Camilo! great work on your post. Your english is very good and makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup: I am also still in awe that you could buy those NOS parts from the nissan dealership, I am quite jealous actually. Your coupe looks like a really good base to start with and with all the new panels you can buy you are really lucky. I hope to see more pictures on here as you get stuck into the car. :hug: Mark aka ozconnection is a really good contact and I have dealt with him and I rate him 100% as a good trader

yours in cedrics

mitch
Hi Mitch, I know is great I could find all these pieces, the Nissan dealer is not the official one, i don´t know how to say it, 10 or 12 years ago the owner bought tons of pieces that the biggest Nissan dealer of COlombia sold trough an auction, at that time he didn´t know what he got, and lot of things were sold as junk.

As soon as i can and make some progress on the car i will post some more pics. This week I´m gonna leave the car at the mechanic so he can make it safe to drive.

Cheers.

Camilo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:21 pm 

Awesome!!!

Is that a NOS electrical aerial or is that a boot release?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 pm 

Gday mate, i love your coupe, its a real time machine with that 80s stereo too, not to mention the fact its LHD, nissan must have gone to alot of trouble to adapt these cars for such a small market, do you know if it was converted to LHD locally or were they shipped from japan like that? good luck with your project

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:41 pm 

A lot of Europe received LHD 230s also :)

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:29 am 

AVQR31 wrote:
Gday mate, I love your coupe, its a real time machine with that 80s stereo too, not to mention the fact its LHD, nissan must have gone to alot of trouble to adapt these cars for such a small market, do you know if it was converted to LHD locally or were they shipped from japan like that? good luck with your project
Hi, it was shipped like that, the same models of the european market.
Hezath wrote:
Awesome!!!

Is that a NOS electrical aerial or is that a boot release?
Hi, yes it is an electrical boot release from a 430. The 230 had remote release too, but i think it was by a vaccum system, mine has no release at all, so i thought this could be a useful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:50 am 

Well I am hopefully gonna go and look at a parts car which is a coupe, please get me a detailed list of anything you may want. Obviously international postage won't be cheap but the bits will probably go to waste if I don't grab them.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm 

Hezath wrote:
Well I am hopefully gonna go and look at a parts car which is a coupe, please get me a detailed list of anything you may want. Obviously international postage won't be cheap but the bits will probably go to waste if I don't grab them.
G day Hezath, i really appreciate your offer, and i hope you'll find some good parts. I need the rear arm rests although i have seen they are very similar to the 240Z arm rests and i could use on of them, the switch of the electrical rear side window, the tail lights, and rear quarter side markers. Also if the car has power mirrors am looking for the switches, I have seen they are the same switches of the 280ZX or the 280C, I am really looking for the bezel where this switches are placed, I don´t know if I am clear, sometimes my english is not enough :lol: .

Thanks again.

Post subject: Chrome trim and moldings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:12 am 

Hi guys, i´m still in the search of spare parts and this is what I have found recently.

Chrome Trim and mouldings parts, i took pics of the parts that i have identified, but i found a lot more that i know they are intended for the 230, the parts are XXXXX-PXXXX labeled, the 230 spares are labeled form P0001 to P5999, but don´t know if they are Sedan or the Hardtop spare parts. I searched with the EFAST software but had no results due to the version that i have is intended for the US market. Please, any help would be appreciate it.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Some pics of the car
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

As a bonus pic, this is my 1980 280ZX 2+2
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Those strips, hard to tell exactly where they come from. You might need to walk around your car with them in hand and see if the fit anywhere or look the same as some of them still on the car.

The front indicator lights, the one at the top of the front guard (fender/wing) is for the 240C. One is complete and the other you only have the lens for. I can look if I have a spare assembly if you want/need one?

Tail lights are here

http://www.importmonster.com.au/view?ur ... &title=230 HT

A lot of other nice parts too, have a look.

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:13 pm 

the strips you have are from the inside of the door the felt that the glass rests against as it comes down i think

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 am 

Thanks guys

Mark, that´s exactly what i did, with every trim and moulding in hand walked around the car and finally found where it belongs. Yes the indicators lights are intended for the 240c, they are NOS, i have the assemblies, both sides, but the lenses are in really bad shape, but if you have a spare of lenses i would be interested :thumbsup:

I´m going to register on importmonster and try to purchase the tail lights. There´s a lot of places here in Bogotá where they make or recondition every kind of tail light, they did for me a reproduction, not exactly but it could be usefull until i find the tail lights.

The right side one only the amber lens is a repro, the left one is completly a repro.
[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:25 pm 

Well... I just bought you some tail lights. They need a clean but they are in great condition
[ img ]

1999 GXE10