Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Brake help
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:55 pm 

G'day, I'm currently building a Datsun 1600 for a rAlly car and I am starting to look into brake and strut choice, I have found a r31 rear brake set up and will be using them on the rear, I am really undecided on what to do up front, I have a set of stanza struts and the standard 1600 struts that come with the car. I have found a set of Datsun 240/260z twinpiston calipers for sale and was woundering if they would fit what I have got? Or do I try and find a completely different strut and brakes set up... Any help would be great or if you have something I'm looking for that you want to sell send me a msg! Thanks

Post subject: Re: Brake help
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 pm 

hay mntdat.
z calipers will fit the struts you have, but an easy upgrade is the 240k struts, they have the twin piston caliper,biger rotor, and the strut is about and inch lower than the std 1600 ones. ive decided to go with the 280zx strut(cheap and effective), it has the vented disc as aposed to the solid, and a big single piston caliper. (the lower spring perch needs to be changed to suit your spring size) also, they sit in about 20mm so it makes it easyer to run wider wheels! there are a few others options like r31 struts, but i havnt tryed these. another thing you can use is on your 1600 strut is volvo 4 pot callipers. again i havnt tryed this but i do have some volvo calipers here.... i might give it a go one day :-) hope that helps

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What size rims and tyres will you be using?
You should aim for the largest brakes that will fit under these.
200B and 240K are good strut and brake upgrades that pretty much bolt straight into a 1600.
Plenty of more advanced upgrades in the suspension and brake sections of the forum if you look around.
This topic link will give you an idea:
http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4361

This one the datsun 1200 forum is good too:
http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... c_id=42576

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm 

drifta1600 wrote:
hay mntdat.
z calipers will fit the struts you have, but an easy upgrade is the 240k struts, they have the twin piston caliper,biger rotor, and the strut is about and inch lower than the std 1600 ones. ive decided to go with the 280zx strut(cheap and effective), it has the vented disc as aposed to the solid, and a big single piston caliper. (the lower spring perch needs to be changed to suit your spring size) also, they sit in about 20mm so it makes it easyer to run wider wheels! there are a few others options like r31 struts, but I havnt tryed these. another thing you can use is on your 1600 strut is volvo 4 pot callipers. again I havnt tryed this but I do have some volvo calipers here.... I might give it a go one day :-) hope that helps
Thanks mate all info is a great help

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 pm 

nick wrote:
What size rims and tyres will you be using?
You should aim for the largest brakes that will fit under these.
200B and 240K are good strut and brake upgrades that pretty much bolt straight into a 1600.
Plenty of more advanced upgrades in the suspension and brake sections of the forum if you look around.
This topic link will give you an idea:
http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4361

This one the datsun 1200 forum is good too:
http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... c_id=42576
G'day, I am currently running a stanza witch has 15 inch trx wheels on it, so I will be trying to fit these up to the 1600 when I finish the build