Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:29 am 

I brought this home one day for $250.00, it did not run, but was fairly strait, and had a title.
[ img ]
I made a mistake and got rid of the box, wish I had kept it, as I could have used it on another project, oh well, as you can see I have the extention piece waiting.
[ img ]
[ img ]
So I started by removing the cab from the frame and scrapping it, as I have bigger plans for this project, it's going to be a diesel, so no need to keep the J13 frame.
I planned on extending it far enough to have a bench seat in the back.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:41 am 

After I looked at it for a while, I deceided that the extention was to long for my first project, so I made a lot of measurements on the frame and stepside box the project was going on, and came up with a 14 inch extention.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
After I welded the extention onto the cab, I sat the cab and box onto the 1982 datsun diesel frame, I really dislike the taillights in the rear fenders.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 am 

I then started sheeting/filling the sides and top.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
I decided to use the back half of the doors to fill in the holes, it allowed me to keep the window runners on the back complete, and this made it easier, as I only have to fabricate the front runners now, my plans were to have windows that went up and down.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 am 

The inside of the cab was actually the hardest part, not cutting to much off was hard to do.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
I then filled the door handle holes, and as you can see, the truck is sitting high, as I am making a 4X4.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 am 

I sent it off to a bodyman, as I don't really like doing bodywork, I had the guy fill the taillight holes in the fenders, and the stupid license plate hole in the tailgate, he had a lot of work ahead of him, as the top and left front fender also needed work.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
It actually runs and drives at this time, but is unlicensed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:14 am 

I went to pick it up finally after it took a month longer than I was told it would take.
[ img ]
The box looks good.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Before the box was put back into position.
[ img ]
It is ready to go home.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am 

I think the guy did awesome on the top also.
[ img ]
[ img ]
After I was home I put it back together, but I still had two differant type wheels on it.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
I switched over the front 3rd member so I would have all the wheels the same.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:28 am 

After a lot of thought, I decided I didn't like it as a 4X4, although it would have drawn a lot of attention, that wasn't my goal, I wanted a nice decent driver, so onto another frame it went, I am very happy now.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 am 

Here is the engine, a 1985 nissan SD25 diesel engine.
[ img ]
Funny thing about this engine, I found it by chance by talking to this guy about his datsun 620 4X4 truck, he was telling me about his truck, and I told him I was into datsun/nissan diesels, he looked at me and said he had a diesel and asked if I wanted to buy it, so I went over and looked at it, it was in the mud, it had bent injection lines, and it had a homemade turbo setup on it, but it turned out to be a SD25, which are rare in this country, so I gave him the money and we loaded it up, while I was strapping it down, he started bringing more parts out and loading them into my truck, a 5 spd. transmission, a bunch of guages, starter, ect.
What a deal, and when I got it home I removed the turbo setup, put a stock intake setup on it, put a fabbed up bellhousing with starter on it, and put the fuel hose into a can of diesel and hit the starter after primimg it, and warming the glowplugs up, it tried but didn't run, I warmed up the glowplugs again, hit the starter and it started, I cound hardly beleave it was running.
This is the best running diesel engine I have in a running truck to this day.
I also fabbed up a power brake unit, 521s never had power brakes in this country.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
The last thing I did before my 3000 mile trip to LA and back, I changed my rear gearing from 389s, to 350s, I am now able to do 80mph on the hiway all day long, it is great, and I also put bucket seats in, very comfortable now, lots of legroom.
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:17 pm 

This is my latest creation, should I start a thread on it?
[ img ]

[ img ]
I have made a lot of modifications to this truck, on the suspension to lower it, and on the body to make it mine, if anyone is interested, I will start a thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 pm 

Wayno, how are you? Good to see you here in Oz. On the forum anyway. Ratsun, datsun 521 ute

1971 Datsun 521 ute
1994 SSS Bluebird
Previous:
2x 1964 SP310's
3x1000 Coupes, 2x1000 Wagons 2x1000 Sedans
1963+64 320 pickup
1970 Datsun 521

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:21 pm 

datsun_sp310 wrote:
Wayno, how are you? Good to see you here in Oz. On the forum anyway. Ratsun, datsun 521 ute

I am good, I have been on here sporadically for a while now. :)
Everytime I come here it says that "Website Chat nobody's online", does that mean I am the only one here?

Wayno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:42 pm 

I liked the 4x4 pick up but yes start a thread on the low rider. The longer cab would be another awesome project to see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:54 pm 

This is actually a turbodiesel now, and it is great to drive now.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
And the hood does close.
[ img ]
It drives great, I am so happy I finally figured it out, it's not easy turbocharging an inline injection pump like we got in the US.
There are more photos on the build thread and info on how I did it.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3380