Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: 411 Wagon you say
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:00 pm 

Been chipping away cleaning up the motor for this thing. Due to it being in what essentially was a workhorse ute (620), it doesn't appear to have had the best life in regards to gaskets and maintenance as the pics will show.

Been a lot of scrubbing, degreasing & wire wheeling, but it's slowly getting there.

Grease and slime 10mm thick
[ img ]

[ img ]

Corroded Water pump
[ img ]

Thermostat bolts
[ img ]

The head weighs about the same as a gearbox, solid metal.
[ img ]

Oven Cleaner doing it's thing
[ img ]

Before
[ img ]
[ img ]
During
[ img ]
[ img ]
After
[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

In other news, found some good tail lenses on yahoo JP. Not being a popular model they don't pop up ever so I grabbed them (hopefully they arrive in one piece).

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:31 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Nice work! Keep the pictures coming.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 pm 

Looking awesome! Did a great job on the engine painting :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm 

Small update, still plugging away on the motor side of things, but got a chance to snap these weather shields up on yahoo japan. Hopefully they fit a 4 door goon.

[ img ]
[ img ]

Random pics of a bagged 411 wagon, look the goods. This one has a 510 rear irs installed, half the floor was cutout so it wouldn't be to viable an option in Australia. I'm considering bags, but would be a stage 2/3 if it ever happened.

[ img ]
[ img ]

I've been keeping an eye out for rook racks for a while now. Speaking with Graeme from the SDC, he told me old volvos had similar roof racks to datsuns.

But I have never been to keen on drilling holes in roofs as most of them have roof runners then a chrome raised trim around to secure.

After some searching I found the old vw design that uses suction caps and mounting rods. This is perfect for what I want to do, and after watching a few ebay auctions go for over the $250 mark, it became apparent I'd be making my own.

Here is a set that sold recently on ebay. With a pipe bender and welder you could easily replicate something custom to suit any car, which is what I plan to do once I'm setup in my new place and have the 3 phase tig handy.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

In 6 months I'm hoping to have this thing on historics with some roof racks and surf board on top. Black stock rims, wide white walls. Engine bay is the next thing to get the treatment once the motor is complete.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 pm 

hey mate, awesome thread! i too have a 411 wags! mines a 1966, the body has been restored and done up a bit, im probably going to run the original 1300 motor until it dies, then i have no idea! so many options! where are you located? im ust about to put mine through regency as it hasnt been registered for 15 yrs.. a couple more final touches then she'll be driveable!!
cheers shane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:24 pm 

That bagged one is insane!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:35 pm 

shano13 wrote:
hey mate, awesome thread! I too have a 411 wags! mines a 1966, the body has been restored and done up a bit, im probably going to run the original 1300 motor until it dies, then I have no idea! so many options! where are you located? im ust about to put mine through regency as it hasnt been registered for 15 yrs.. a couple more final touches then she'll be driveable!!
cheers shane
Hey Shane, I'm luke sinc's mate. He texted me when you were buying that thing, looked like a good buy.

How does the J13 go out of interest? I would have used a J13 if the car came with the motor but unfortunately it wasn't so had to go with what was available (J15 out of a 620 ute).

Any chance you could do me a big favour and take some photos of your engine mounts, where they connect to the motor and to the crossmember. That's the only thing I'm missing so would be good to have a pictorial guide of some sort.
millsy wrote:
That bagged one is insane!
Yeah it looks very tuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 am 

Awesome project. Definitely watching this one

Where are you?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:11 pm 

hey mate, yeah nice, lukes a legend.
i dont have any pics on my computer, and i am out at work now n wont be home for 2 1/2 weeks. can take them for you then if you still need them?
the original J13 is ok so far. i love the fact that its a column shift! i am going to be compression testing it when i get home, and if it is good i will be rebuilding the carby, replacing the points with electronic ign etc. n just a general tidy up. if the readings arent good, i'll be looking at a H20 or similar.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 pm 

Quote:
I'm trying to hassle him to see if he can find his old ones, as he has put an A14 in his car. If not the USA might be worth a shot.
Hey man - yeah sorry I couldn't help out with that in the end. Let me know if you need other bits in future though because I still have a few things lying around.

You were interested in the brake stuff I was doing to weren't you? If so I am still progressing this, just working on getting the prototypes milled up of the CAD drawings I've had done. Also made a spacer bracket to run a 610/120y booster without interfering with the 410's accelerator mechanism. And I'm working on the rear discs, but just making sure I can source all the necessary wheel bearing and seals before I cut the original ones off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 am 

Hey Jeremiahnz, no worries dude. I managed to get a member on here (heathr) to sell me a set of mounts, not sure if they are out of a 411 (possibly a 312), but they are off a J13 so should be similar.

Just wanted something to reference as I'll need to mod them to suit some newer style engine mounts as these ones are most likely NLA.

Still keen on the brake stuff, just let me know, happy to invest in your R & D to make this stuff happen. 4 wheel drum brakes just isn't going to cut it in this day and age.

Progress is on hold on this thing until I get my 610 ready for sale, but good news is that it's now undercover.

Also for anyone who isn't familiar with Jeremiahnz 411, here is a sneaky of the engine bay

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm 

I'll let you know regarding the brakes. I have been lazy heading into the new year and been in the states for a couple of weeks which has slowed things up. Really I just need to go get the base shape water cut off the prototype I made, then get it milled. If I have got all my measurement right then they should be good to go.

I also have a rear disc setup I bought from someone running a H165 in a 1200. I will use this as a starting point to get a good setup on the rear. Just held up on this pending confirmation that I can get all the rear bearing and seals. I don't want to destroy my old ones until I know I can get new ones, and I need to get them off to remove the drum backing plate and replace with a custom backing plate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:35 pm 

So hasn't been much happening on the old 411 since moving house. Always takes a while to find that day where you have time to track down all the stuff you've lost while moving.

A few weeks ago I spoke to my mate about enlisting his dads help with the motor side of things. He said he could help out so I dropped in there today to give him a look at the head.

He pulled out his valve puller and we removed the valve retainers so I could get the valves out so the head can be acid dipped.

[ img ]

Once the lever pulls the valve spring down, you can lever out the little wedge style retainers (that's what im calling them);

[ img ]
[ img ]

Once the wedge is removed the valve springs and cover come off
[ img ]

Laid out
[ img ]

Valves left
[ img ]

Each valve had a small rubber part to it which fell apart when I tried to remove them, so I'm assuming (hoping) they will be easy to track down some new
[ img ]

Before removing the valves, I was told to identify the valves by marking them with a centre punch, 1 punch on each of the first 2 valves, 2 on the 2nd, 3 on the 3rd (pictured), 4th blank
[ img ]
[ img ]

Now I can get the head acid dipped and cleaned up.

Still deciding whether to re-ring the bottom end, will get my mates old man to check out the bores and go from there.
[ img ]

Pretty uninspiring update, but good to get some traction on this thing. Once motor is on it's way I'll strip the engine bay and get all nuts etc plated then probably repaint the bay in the original colour.

Drop the motor in and get it started, then move onto the brakes/suspension.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am 

I love these wagons. Looking forward to watching this come together!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 pm 

Thanks mate, I'm hoping this very small update will keep the ball rolling.

Stage 1 is get the car running and braking.

Stage 2 is potentially air bags, this may include tasteful small front tubs with curved edges that mold into the engine bay work to appear factory (let's face it, not many cops are going to know what is or isn't factory on these cars).

I'd love to have stage 1 complete by the time the next Datsun day comes around.