Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 pm 

Hello all. I have a 1600 sedan with a ca18det in it. I have a set of vy ss calipers and i am wanting to know if i can use them and if so what rotor should i use. I have the rotors off of the commodore as well and they might be close if they were used as a floating type disk. I think that Nissan t30 xtrail might work on the hub as normal datsun.
Any thoughts on what would work.
I currently have 240k struts in the car with the crappy looking calipers. I also have standard 1600 struts in the shed. I have not sorted out the master cylinder yet so not a drama to go 1.25"

Thanks in advance
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:07 am 

Never heard of it but almost any brakes can go on anything. Check the bolt holes and if you knock up some brackets you can then measure how far the caliper sits from the hub and the pad gap. Then hit the rda or dba site and figure out what blanks have the right offset, get them drilled.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:25 am 

Cheers for the reply.
The bolt spacing on the caliper is the same as most commodores so they bolt straight on to the 1600/180b struts. Just wanting to know if any one had done it before. The verada rotors are not thick enough for the newer commodore calipers. I thought that someone would have tried it before due to the larger 2 spot calipers and the availability of pads for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Bolting the calipers on is the easy bit. Matching them to a rotor which has the right thickness and offset (hat height) is the hard bit...not to mention stud pattern and centre hole diameter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:15 pm 

Search through the archives for lots of discussions on brake upgrades using 240K struts, or originals, and commodore calipers. I think earlier model commodore calipers are generally discussed, and the VYSS may be a bit wide. The Verada disc/ commodore caliper combo was a really popular upgrade, but now you can find a blank disc produced by DBA meeting your dimensional requirements and drilled to your hub specs. Your biggest problem could be fitting wheels over your brake calipers that retain the correct offset for the struts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 pm 

Thanks again. I have been searching for a while now and not finding any good answers. I know about the vl turbo caliper and verada disc. That is not what i am or wanting to do. I have brand new vy ss calipers which need a thicker rotor. The caliper bolts on and 14" wheels fit over them. So no drama on wheel options. I am not changing track or anything. I am needing a rotor to fit as per standard. The closest i can see is the xtrail.
Today i machined down a standard hub to fit inside a 296mm commodore rotor. It would be close but 296mm is to big to fit and i ran out of time to machine it down.
So rather than going a floating disc i want to keep the rotor mounted on the rear of hub.
I have the tools to redrill a disc and open up the centre hole if required.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:44 pm 

I have ordered some Xtrail rotors today. I will just have to redrill them and see how close they are. I think that my calipers are from a vz not a vy commodores all look the same to me. I will let you all know how it all goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:23 pm 

The Xtrail rotors arrived today. They are almost perfect just a 2mm shim between the hub and caliper mounts the same as a verada disc and VL Caliper. And just a bit of grinding to the caliper. I will take pics when i put it all together. I still have to redrill them to bolt onto the hub but that is pretty easy. These rotors should work with any of the Commodore calipers requiring a 28mm rotor thickness (my calipers were on a SS with 296mm rotors). DBA573 is the part number. Not sure if they do undrilled. They do not do slotted. They are 280mm in diameter and 28mm thick. The centre hole is the correct 68mm the same as the datsun hub so less machining required. This could all be done at home with a grinder and and drill. I am now trying to work out what size master cylinder I will need.