Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: re-wiring 1600
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm 

ive just picked up my 1600 from a place in Canberra who re-wired my car from scratch. the quality of work is a1 all wire has been hidden its like a new car very happy with the job. what im not happy with is the amount of time they took and the major blow out of the original quote. im taking 4 times as much as they originally quoted me.i had to have words and demand a review of the final price and they ended up taking $2200 of the bill which is huge money in anyone's language. i know there are many of you on this forum who know how to do this type of work and do a lot of work on your own cars, but has anyone else paid to have their car re-wired and could you tell me what something like this would actually cost. i understand the variables here but just ball park type stuff out of interest for myself?? bills already paid car has been removed so i just want to know the extent of my rip off cheers

Post subject: Re: re-wiring 1600
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: sorry to say but if $2200 was the refund **** thay sore you coming. i do all my one electrical work but my mates bro said he would do it for $500. that being said it is a time consuming job and from what you say it's the a hi standard so who knows. :? ether way it must be a masive bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 pm 

at $80 per hour which is typical for a tradesman. I can easily see it taking more than 4 days to complete a car. Plus materials.

Did your needs change from when the job was started? Was a quote provided?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

A mate of mine is a auto elec and he normally charges 3grand to start for a full rewire. But if there is lots of custom stuff hidden looms etc the price go's up from there.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 pm 

A friend had his 1600 rally car fully re wired (not hidden) by a auto electrician cost was in excess of $6k. This is a car on carburettors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :chaching: :chaching: :chaching: im in the wrong trade :giggle:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 pm 

There is a company in the U.S called "Painless Performance" or "Painless Wiring"

They sell kits, which without buying one, look amazing.

EVERY wire is labeled all the way along so even if you cut its length down, it is still marked to show what it does.

[ img ]

Here is a link to the Chasis harnesses :
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalo ... +Harnesses

I know it is too late for this now ... but when it comes time for me to rewire, I will probably go down this path.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 am 

Yes I did get extra stuff done along the way, and for that I'm happy to pay extra. I was quoted around $2500 that isn't even close to the final bill! He charges $120 an hour I'm defiantly in the wrong trade! Any way it's done now, makes you wonder how many builds are not finished and sold when sh*t like this happens it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I for one was feeling less than positive about the project after this. Makes me more wary and I'll be real carfull from here and make sure I don't get bent over again. Cheers for the feed back

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 pm 

Do you have a build thread ?

Post up some pics of the wiring job / engine bay etc - People will go : "Oooooh! that looks shmick!" and you will feel good about it again :D

edit: Just found your build thread .. Holy sh*t :shock:

Your car is AWESOME! Dont worry about the expensive wiring job - it matches the rest of the car!