Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 pm 

I've been meaning to make a page for my wagon for some time now. I have just been waiting for some work to commence otherwise I suppose it would be pretty boring :D . I have already had the running gear replaced and now it's time for the drive chain to receive some attention 8). I'm not looking to build a speed wagon, I want to preserve the original quality and aesthetic whilst making some considered improvements that don't detract from this originalality too much. This is my main mode of transport and I love that 'dato' feeling as I cruise around in these old girls.

I suppose I should start at the beginning:

I purchased this vehicle at the start of the year (2012) and it looked really good in the photos and it still looked good when I went to inspect it, though it was obvious by looking at the running gear and engine bay that it had been taken for granted for quite some time. As soon as I bought it I booked it into Giorgio Mechanical Repairs (GMR) in Caboolture to get it up to scratch for road worthy and a bit more :thumbsup: .

I had all of the bushes replaced with Nolathane, all of the suspension replaced and all of the brakes replaced, bearings.. basically everything within the running gear was replaced. I really wanted it to ride nice and smooth and it does. I opted to go with straight replacements as I'm not looking to build a speed wagon just a reliable daily driver with that gives me that special Datsun feeling as I cruise on my day to day 8). I am going to get it lowered and therefore I replaced the front control arms and strut tops with adjustable units from Maddat. Maddat really know their business, I was really impressed with the quality of the units I received!

Here it is getting some love at GMR (sorry for the quality of some of the photos):

[ img ]

Everything GMR worked on was cleaned and repainted, all of the internal body surfaces that were exposed were cleaned and sprayed with body deadener.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Here is some of the good gear that went in (this one is really bad quality, stupid phone! I should have had my camera with me :oops: )

[ img ]

Here is a photo of it just after I had the running gear replaced (at standard height):

[ img ]

GMR did lower it for me though due to some setup issues I decided to return it to standard height and put lowering back on the to do list. This is what it looked like with lowered springs in the front and 2" blocks in the back:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

The main issue was the stupid wheels that were on it at the time, they are early falcon steelies and the offset is incorrect. Anther issue was the incorrect fitment of the exhaust (as purchased) that scraped on any raised bits that the car was driven over. I have since been able to source original 610 steel wheels and I imported some brand new (reproduction) original style hubcaps from USA. They are on the car now and I'm really looking forward to getting it to a suspension shop to get it lowered again. I am getting some work done to it now and a new exhaust is on the list with a request to have it fitted as tightly as possible 8)

Steering box brace supplied by maddat:

[ img ]

It took a few weeks to get it back and as I had only just purchased it GMR had had it longer then I had. I drove it for a while and did a few small things. I had electronic ignition from a bluebird fitted and had the distributor rebuilt and re-curved.

It is such a slug, as it only had a L16 in it :shock: I was able to purchase a 610sss motor carburettors and a 71B 5 speed gearbox and that is being fitted as we speak. I hope to have it back within the next couple of weeks. I am taking the opportunity whilst everything is out and doing as much work as is possible.

The sss engine is being rebuilt, the twin hitachis are being overhauled and pacemaker extractors fitted. All parts have either been acid dipped, hot washed or both. I was there helping my mate with this cleaning process and I was stoked to see everything being cleaned up and I was left with the feeling that my build is in good hands.. I think my mate is a bit of a perfectionist... Who better to work on your car? :D :D

Some photos of the work currently being done:

Rebuild bits and some evidence of liquid inspiration :giggle:

[ img ]

Pacemaker extractors. I'm going to have these painted in a similar colour to the original air box colour.

[ img ]

Wear on the oil pump drive gear. This is being replaced and a new pump unit is coming from SWmotorsport.

[ img ]

The big bath where clean dreams are made... Man that guy who is making it all happen looks too cool :rofl:

[ img ]

MMM clean bits...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Some sludge with a very short life left :twisted: .

[ img ]

The engine block and sump is to be painted a light blue colour. As I mentioned before the extractors are going to be painted in a colour similar to the original twin hitachi airbox cover. I'm going to have the fan removed from the front of the engine and a thermo fan installed instead. The starter motor is being replaced with a 'reduction' starter. I'm having a new heater core put in as the heater doesn't work at the moment and that is quite sucky in winter, even up here in sunny QLD. Also a new exhaust is going in as well and as I mentioned earlier is got to be taight! because this peaudy is taking the suspension elevator down to low town 8) .

I'll be posting more pictures as the work is done and there are many other things I am looking forward to doing. I can't wait until I get it back with this current work completed... I am hoping for a special dato christmas present!

Last edited by 610citylimits on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 pm 

sweet gooon mate!! keep the progress going!! any chance you still got thoose steelies lying around?? also your mate keen on doing more L18's

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:56 pm 

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

When I get it back I'm going to take a butt load more photos to really showcase the ol' sweety. It looks a lot better with the proper hubcaps on.

My mate said he doesn't want to do any other motors atm, he's just doing this one for me as a favour... what a champion :hail:

PM sent regarding the wheels. A young fella down at stupidcheap was also keen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:05 pm 

Datlove, I tried to send you a reply pm, but it's still sitting in my outbox.... mabye your inbox is full.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm 

once he reads your pm it will be gone from your outbox

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm 

Dato200B wrote:
once he reads your pm it will be gone from your outbox
Ahhh.. Well isn't that handy? I didn't realise that it worked like that, thanks mate!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 pm 

Here's some pictures of a couple of 'dato treats' I've collected from ebay. I knew I had the gearknob but didn't remember having the cigarette lighter: I found it whilst going through some old boxes:D Score! Just some nice little trick bits to jazz up the interior 8) .

Rising sun gear knob: The finish is really nice on this, I was stoked when it arrived.

[ img ]

Datsun cigarette lighter:

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 pm 

Car looks awesome mate!
Good to see extractors turned up too haha :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 pm 

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Yeah they arrived just in time before I drove down to my mate's place. Thanks for posting asap! They feel like they are quality and I can't wait to see how they run. I've bought some flame proof paint to jazz them up. I thought about putting exhaust wrap on but the guy at the exhaust shop said it degrades the steel after a while :shock: Didn't know that would happen, shows it pays to speak to people who know their stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:25 pm 

Love all the datsun branded stuff. Its those little things that make the interior of a car.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 pm 

The head was sent away the other day to get serviced and I received some 'bad' news. Some of the valves are worn and the cam is starting to show signs of wear as well. So I'm just going to have to spend a bit of money and get some performance work done to it :twisted:. I put the word bad in inverted comas as I wanted to get the head souped up anyway though was looking to save some money at this stage and do the work later, but now it will be done anyway, awesome :D

As far as I know at the moment it's having oversized valves and mild cam installed and it's being ported and polished. I've also requested that the lubrication issues be fixed as per the 'Racer Brown' article on Datsport suggests.

I also got some updates on the thermo fan installation: the radiator is being serviced and a sensor mount is being plumbed into it. I'm wondering if I should upgrade the radiator. Any advice on radiator upgrades would be appreciated.

As soon as I get more photos through I'll post them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:53 pm 

I have been advised that the head lubrication improvement can be done and now I'm just waiting for prices. I hope that the head will be finished by the end of the week.

Also it looks like all the carburettor bits are being sand blasted, they are in need of a good clean. If I can't afford all the performance bits, if atleast what I have is clean and tidy I'll be a happy man.

Still haven't had anyone comment on my request for information/personal experience about radiator upgrades. If anyone has anything to suggest it will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm 

I use a VN-VS Commodore manual radiator in my SSS. It fits the radiator opening perfectly and has no trouble cooling an L20B with a big cam and 15lbs of boost. The catch? the inlet & outlet need to be reversed so it requires either end tank modifications or long hoses across the engine bay.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:49 pm 

Thanks man, I'll put this in the list of options.