Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: What suspension
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 pm 

I'm looking for ideas on what struts and brakes to put on my 1600 so that it can be engineered and work properly I don't really want to put big wheels on as I prefer the old school look ill be using Koni or bilstein inserts and rear shocks and I plan on the odd lap dash or karna cross but mainly a road car

Post subject: Re: What suspension
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:29 am 

200B struts & brakes were enough to get an engineer's report for a Z18ET powered 1600 in Victoria back in the 90s. Probably still are. One tip is they give you a huge choice of brake pads as VB-VL Commodore front pads (Bendix part number DB1085) fit them.

I used 240K struts & brakes (Sumitomo twin piston calipers) in my old 1600 and with good fluid and pads they worked fine for street, sprints and hillclimbs.

You can fit 13" wheels over these (mags for sure, maybe steel wheels). If you go to early Commodore discs & calipers on late 180B struts you'll need 14" mags.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 am 

I forgot to state it's got a ca18det going in

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 pm 

You'll need to talk to an engineer about this and get him to approve a combination before you go shopping for it.

Another possibility that gives you vented rotors is to use Audi 100 rotors (centre hole needs to be machined out and the stud pattern drilled and either Volvo 4-spot calipers or the 240K/240Z twin spot Sumitomo calipers with spacers made for them to fit over the wider rotors (Not as hard as it sounds. I have some and they work fine).

Cheers!