Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 200b coil overs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm 

hey guy iv done a quick surch but just looking for straight answers of with selve kits best and how much to cut them down for witch shock insurts to run and witch springs to use .

also what can be done with the rear suspension.

sorry about the bad grammar :oops:

Post subject: Re: 200b coil overs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:55 pm 

Have a chat with Datsport, they will modify the 200b struts for you

What you see in my Avatar is what you get.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm 

looking to do it myself save a bit of cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm 

I bought a set of HSD sleeves and did mine (after Pedders told me it was 'impossible').
I shortened mine to take a z31(?) adjustable insert while I was going, and that was the only hard part where I had to think about what i was doing. The kit i bought came with a choice of springs too.

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:02 pm 

i like the look and price of the hsd kit anyidea on how much to cut the struts down to acept z31 insurts and witch springs to get they range from 4 to 5kg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 pm 

Cut a 40mm section out of your strut below your gland nut thread. Reweld threaded section back on. This should give you the right length for Z31 struts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:41 pm 

Alternative to cutting down the 200b struts is to source some r31 struts they can be had for about $100 with brakes in good nick. Added bonus is a vented brake upgrade that fits under stock rims. Might be worth considering if you're going to drop $500+ on a sleeve kit and shocks.

They will take a z31 or r31 shock. Z31 just handles a slightly higher rate. I used the HSD 51mm kit too, it has a little helper spring and i'm happy with the look and quality. I have the 4kg springs and r31 KYB's which ride nicely on a standard weight 200b.

You will need to drill out the top hat on the kit to accept the top of the shock as they come with only about a 12 or 14mm hole, it will need to be drilled out to about 18mm from memory but measure whatever shocks you get. I finished the job with s13 camber tops and RCA spacers. all anodised red and looks purdy. I also put in some kyb bump stops, about 40mm in size that i had lying around.

I may go up to a 5 or 6kg spring (there are many different rates available) and z31 bilsteins with an upcoming engine conversion... i'm going to see how the 4kg spring and r31 KYB combo goes with the little bit of extra weight 1st. Replacement 65mm spring pairs are about $100 from otomoto.

On the rear i have 200b KYB replacement struts, bump stops, and kings low springs for now, but there are alternatives to this too, personally the rate on the rear is too soft and ride too high for my liking at the moment. Rear struts from 280zx, z31, r30, r31, bluebird, etc all should fit and all are slightly different tube and shock lengths. The 200b rear strut has plenty of travel even with reduced spring height... that will allow you to run springs of the same diameter from any of the afore mentioned cars on them, just find ones that have a good rate and height. Matching them to the right shock will keep the ride smooth.

Also, ADM 910 bluebird rear sway bars bolt right in between the 200b trailing arms too. s3 TRX have about a 20mm rear bar. I have one of these plus a 25mm r31 skyline bar bolted into the front. a 25mm s13 front sway should work too if you use the s13 endlinks. 25mm may be overkill and causes quite a bit of understeer if you're not running a rear bar to hold the rear down... you can grab the 23mm r31 pintara one as an alternative.

A steering box brace is nice too... definitely makes the steering feel much more direct and compliments the harder suspension and larger wheels/tyres nicely

overall the 200 handles pretty well with that setup... keen to test it out when i have a bit of power.