Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: WH230 260C wagon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 pm 

excellent! That means i have the more common discs that are actually available too!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm 

Progress!

I am a month into a 4 month job so i only have every second weekend to work on it if im lucky, but this past sunday i found some time.

Up on the hoist at work
[ img ]

Yuk
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Thank god for steam cleaners. Forget degreaser! Forget getting dirty! Just dial the temperature right up and let it rip!

Steering arms refurbed with new boots and a few pumps of grease
[ img ]

I have had the battle with sourcing ball joints before, but i have a solution. I could not find a 330 front end without buying the whole car so i did a bit of creative engineering and reamed out my axles to suit the later, and more importantly, available, 330/720 ball joints

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Sorted!
[ img ]

I also replaced the front brake hoses and pads.
Just need to source a front caliper rebuild kit and wait until im next off work to pick up the idler arm i ordered and fit it and im ready for a roadworthy!

If anybody out there with a 130 or 230 wants their axles reamed out to suit the later ball joints, give me a shout. It will cost you a carton of beer and postage!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Simply awesome!

That last bit of info should keep a nice steady trickle of amber fluid close to hand. :cheers :lol:

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 pm 

Great to see some progress fletch. I dare say that will be an increasinly common method. It has crossed my mind a few times.

Are there any geometric differences with the 330 units? Different position of steering arm/caliper mount/camber/height of stub etc?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

ozconnection wrote:
That last bit of info should keep a nice steady trickle of amber fluid close to hand. :cheers :lol:
lets hope so!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 pm 

Hezath wrote:
Are there any geometric differences with the 330 units? Different position of steering arm/caliper mount/camber/height of stub etc?
I dont know. I have all the geometry of the 230 at home. ill post it up when im next off work. As for the 330, Mark?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 am 

I think we're due for an update?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:28 pm 

Hezath wrote:
I think we're due for an update?

haha yea i suppose so...
I have been pretty busy the past 6 months and have not had much time.

Anyway...

NZ Mofos!!!!
[ img ]

We bought a 40foot container over at the beginning of november. It cost more to get from mackay to brisbane, than brisbane to auckland..................

Got it registered 2 dec. was easier than i thought, but it was a big help taking it to the right place.

First job back home was to strip the electric window in the rear quarter. It was only going down 1/4 before tripping the circuit breaker.
No photos but i stripped it all apart and greased everything and the slides and now its nice and smooth, and fast.
While i had the cover off the inner guard, i popped the dent out of the back quarter. Can hardly see it now.

[ img ]

The dash is pretty far gone from 40 years of Tamworth summers, so i got a new one from Japan. It wasnt cheap...

[ img ]

Hope to fit it in a few months

For new years we went away to the beach with a few mates. around 1200kms all up.
[ img ]

The chev had some pretty big running issues on the way there and we discovered a big vacum leak in the inlet manifold. Once that was solved it ran a million times better.
The 260c has been running worse and worse and when we got back, I discovered the vacuum hose to the brake booster was all old and hard and split.
Fixed it up today and runs far better

[ img ]

I have also ordered a carb rebuild kit as the carb is all black and the accelerator pump is leaking badly. I hope to do that in a few weeks. Next job is to remove the air con compressor and change it to the later style. I have pinched one off a 260z that ray is wrecking.

[ img ]

Might be a bit slow for a month or two as we are looking for jobs and than a house to buy with a big shed. Might take a while..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:28 am 

The move is news enough! That's a pretty big deal. Thanks for the update.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 am 

Hey man, love the wagon.

So whereabouts are you based over here in NZ?

I've got a hubcap you can have if you want one still, I'm in Auckland. Have a shitload of them so come pick one if you're local.

WRT the balljoints, I'm going to need to do mine shortly... reaming the tapers is not a problem, is it just the bottoms that require modification of do both the tops and bottoms need work?

Cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 am 

Hey Rich, currently in Waverley, but looking to start work in New Plymouth in a few weeks and buy a house there mid year.

I suggest reaming both the top and bottom of the axles. then you can fit the later 330/720 joints that are easier to get. Have you got a reamer? Get the joints first then you can keep checking your work to get the right size. I can send you all the measurements if you want.

I might just take you up on that offer of hub caps? Where are you in Akl? I might be up there tuesday night/wednesday. I have my eye on a l26 in rotorua, or maybe that one your selling.

cheers
fletch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 pm 

I don't have a reamer personally but I do have a friend with a lathe and a reamer in his shed :) I'll investigate the joints, I assume they're available through any usual auto parts supplier.

Fired you a text on that number mate, just get in touch if need be (021) 0410507

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:15 pm 

No worries. The taper is 1.5 inches per foot, or about 7deg.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:46 pm 

Some progress!

We have moved to New Plymouth and are looking for a house so work on the car is slow until we buy one and get a big shed.

Anyway, after our road trip at new years the car was running bad and getting worse.
The carb kit i ordered came in so Gen and i rebult the carb. I thought it would be a simple strip, clean, new gaskets and o-rings, and throw it back together. But it was not to be.
The main shaft in the carb has worn into the housing and the butterfly has worn the side off. This made a big air leak that was making the idle bad. I think it was caused by the mechanical linkage from the firewall being spring loaded towards the firewall and pulling on the shaft.

[ img ]

The shiny bits onthe shaft are where the shaft has worn, and also worn into the carb base. Also, both screws sheared off when i undid them :(

LUCKY for me, i had another carb in stock from an e13 datsun sunny. Its the same carb but later type. The 240c and 260c have the hitachi DAF 342 carb, and the sunny had the later DCH or DCF 342 carb. the 342 means 34mm secondary, 32mm primary butterfly. The later carb is a better carb and has electronic choke, but my one was damaged by the spectacular failure of the engine it was attached to. Im looking for another one as the jets all swap over.

Long story short, i swapped the main shaft, butterfly, and bushes into the 260 carb and it went back together sweet as.
I didnt bother cleaning the outside as the air cleaner covers it

[ img ]

Now it starts and idles with no choke! Great success!

I also fitted a rebuilt 280z electronic distributor. The points were shitting me so i got one from ebay us cheap and threw it in there.
Its a common mod in the 240/260z community. You have to change the base plate to suit the dizzy.

Ooohh shiny!
[ img ]

Dizzy installed
[ img ]

I didnt have a 12v coil in stock, or the time to scrounge one off one of rays relics, so i just did the quick bypass on the ballast to give the 6v coil 12v. gets warm but runs sweet
[ img ]

I put Gen to work cleaning the interior, but it obviously was hard work and boring so she went to sleep..
[ img ]

My old man took it for a test drive and got 15 minutes away when a cloud of smoke came out of the dash and the engine stopped.
Turns out an electrical addition by the previous owner was loose and shorted out. It blew one of the fusible links in hte engine bay. Lucky the car comes with a spare which went straight in and away it went again.
[ img ]

Next job is to strip out the dash to check all the wiring, swap out the a/c evaporator for a new one to suit new gas, fit the new dash pad, chuck some new tyyes on it and cruise. Oh yea, and buy a house with a shed so i can move it to the city from my parents farm..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 pm 

Good to hear you are keeping busy. Good luck with the house hunt too!

1999 GXE10