Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: ass end problem
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:31 pm 

Ok so I just got my transmission in my 910. So its been off the road for a week and I'm back behind the wheel. I love this car. .. apart from the ass end problem I can not find.! I have been under there about ten times with a tyre Lever and can't anything. I have been trying to move the upper and lower trailing arms but can't find any movement. But when I drive the car there is movement, so much so I steers from the ass end. When I brake hard it pulls to the left, it's not doing it from the front, I can loosen my grip on the steering wheel and it doesn't move but the car pulls to the left from the ass end. It is steering from back there. On the highway i can't keep it in a straight line. It is getting worse. It feels like it is on the drivers side as that side of the car bounces around on certain bumps but on others you can feel that the band new shocks I put in are working perfectly.

I can't seem to find the problem myself so I'm thinking maybe I should take it to a pro, a person that knows these cars.

Is there anyone in Melbourne?

Is there someone here in Melbourne on this site that would like to take it fora drive and tell me what they think.

guys.

Nik

Post subject: Re: ass end problem
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm 
Guru

Has the diff been rear ended in an accident?
If the axle tubes are bent, then your rear end will do some very weird things, if you'll pardon the expression.
Perhaps a 4 wheel alignment to see if the rear wheels are straight and true with respect to the body and front wheels.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:02 am 

If you haven't got your rear end to behave properly yet either Craig at Trackside Tyres or Andrew at Traction tyres can help.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:25 pm 

Swap front tires to the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 pm 

180ssst I have been going to take it out to trackside for some time now. That is where will take it tsoon as I can. I've heard he is great! Thanks for the advice.
Datzenmike I'm sure that it isn't the tyres, they wouldn't make the car steer from the rear.

I bought 180b on the weekend. Yay! Back to an IRS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Pretty much what has been said alrerady:

"A common mistake is assuming that the toe angle on solid rear axle housings used in light trucks is correct. An axle with a slight toe-out condition will cause a steering wander complaint. While a few skilled drivetrain repair shops can correct minor amounts of axle housing misalignment, replacement might be the best option if the axle housing is bent due to a collision impact. A solid rear axle with worn spring bushings, or broken center bolts or trailing arm bushings and axle mounts, will also allow the axle to change its centerline of thrust as the vehicle travels over the road. This, in turn, causes the steering gear to travel off-center and cause steering wander."

http://www.import-car.com/Article/85148 ... ander.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:16 pm 

c210wanted wrote:
180ssst I have been going to take it out to trackside for some time now. That is where will take it tsoon as I can. I've heard he is great! Thanks for the advice.
Datzenmike I'm sure that it isn't the tyres, they wouldn't make the car steer from the rear.

I bought 180b on the weekend. Yay! Back to an IRS!
Agreed, it's a stretch. But... it is cheap and easy to do.

Do the rear tires have any odd wear patterns?