Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datsun 1600 strut top
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:35 pm 

G'day, I'm currently looking into getting some new front shocks for my datsun 1600 rally car, I was wondering what people use for strut tops? Adjustable/fixed
I need to decide what way to go before I get my shocks made...
I don't think I need adjustable tops as I have caster and camber from lengthing the lower control arms
I would love to have a go at building my own strut tops but from what I have read the bearing choise is the hardest part, finding one that is up to the task....
Any experience would be a massive help
CHEERS DAVID

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:29 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If you dont need adjustable tops then you have answered your own question. Std tops it is...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:01 pm 

I am using HKS S14 tophats. Slight file on the strut tower holes but seem to be fine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 am 

We used to get rid of the standard 1600 strut tops and use 240k (I think) since the construction is "conical" and if the rubber bush gives way the strut shaft won't come out through the bonnet (as far). Ìt was still possible to drive but somewhat noisy.
If the standard top gave way the strut shaft was free to come upwards as far as it liked and that corner of the car would be on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 am 
Guru

You could swap to 610 strut tops.
Later models of the 180B had offset tops to correct excessive factory -ve camber.
My experience, road car, is NOT to distort the suspension bushings to achieve caster and camber adjustments.
Ideally, it should be done with adjustable length control arms for camber, as you have, and adjustable strut tops for caster.
Shortening the distance on the tension rods puts a hell of a lot of strain on the control arm bushing [read "destroy"] and also the tension rod bushing, if used,

graemes@internode.on.net