Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:42 am 

Hi guys

As per title, has anyone attempted bolting in a bluebird cross member into a 200b? I have a spare S1 Bluebird at home and from a quick glance it seems the mounting points for the cross member are located in the same place. I guess the overall goal of doing the conversion would be to gain a rack and pinion steering setup which I would think would better compliment my plans for an SR20 conversion that I have planned for next year. Is it worth doing?

Any suggestions or words of wisdom/experience?

thanks

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 pm 

A conversion to rack & pinion is certainly a good upgrade for any boxed car.

That said, there is a lot involved in getting the geometry right (enough to scare me off, that's for sure!) so unless it is a fairly well known & talked about swap you are probably better leaving it alone or leaving it to a shop with an understanding of modified steering & suspension (ie. racing involvement).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm 

Baz at Datsport would be the man to talk to about this properly, I believe he's looked into it and couldn't get the geometry to work, but I could have it backwards, best to speak to the man himself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:53 pm 

If you're taking the entire front end assembly strut to strut and fitting it I don't see any issues with geometry. As long as you're willing to have more track width. Radius rods could be a sticking point but there are adjustable ones available.

I'm considering using an r31 pintara r&p front end in mine, they are all more or less the same with differences in gearing and overall width. I already use r31 struts and swaybar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:01 pm 

From what I can gather, I should be okay sticking with the 200b struts and lca's. I have 910 struts and lca's in currently but they have messed up the geometry somewhat (too much positive camber), I only fit them to allow positive offset wheels. Judging from the dimensions and bolt holes, it should be a straight bolt in. The only problem I can see is fitting the steering column, as the mounts are different. Should be manageable though