Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:46 pm 

the latest for me is to look at the S14 rear seat. i have had a guy measure them up for me and they look like they goods.. because i don't have my 1600/510 on the road, or know anyone with an S14 that will come by for a test fit, i'm yet to confirm the "goodness".

but they come in around the wheel arches like the 1600 backrest does, and the width is pretty close to the 1600... anyone driving an S14 daily with a 1600 in their garage?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:45 am 

no rear middle seat though, so you'll have to register it as a 4 seater I think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 am 

Carnt beat original . But I did have prelude buckets in mine. Also has anyone ever considered swift buckets ?

1980 JDM styled Suzuki Carry SOLD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 am 

Anth, it has the little bulge in the middle, it could probably still be classed as a seat, with a seatbelt there... but if they said it had to be registered as a 4-seater, I don't see that being a big issue. how many times have you seen 4 or more squeezed across a back seat. doesn't happen often, and if you're not being an idiot, you get left alone by the federale.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 pm 

What would be the easiest seats to install, Skyline? S14?
My seats are shocking.

Mazda 121 - Daily

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:09 pm 

WAGN71 wrote:
Carnt beat original . But I did have prelude buckets in mine. Also has anyone ever considered swift buckets ?
Yer I love sitting on milk create style seats. :rofl:

Its safe to say there is a reason why no one keeps the factory seats..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 pm 

Yeah it would be good to know if the s14 rear seat fits into the 1600, cant wait for you to try it out RED510, please post when you find out 8) :woohoo: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:08 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I know this is an old thread but, I was wondering if you guys have any fresh suggestions on what I should replace my very very worn 1600 seats with.
I am looking for a pair of comfortable front seats that will require minimum mods to fit.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers
Mick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Depends on your budget. The cheap replacement used to be 610 or 910 seats but they are getting harder to find thesedays.
Try datsun seats first as 99% of every thing else normally isnt a straight bolt up.
There is a few other threads with seat ideas on here somewhere too as i remember writing about some Daihatsu Charade seats i put in my old wagon quite a while back.
Also check the members rides as their cars have some good ideas aswell...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 am 

Hey Mick,

I had early MX5 seats in mine which were pretty easy to fit and quite comfy..

[ img ]

[ img ]

In the end i retrimmed the back seat and trimmed some '06-ish WRX front seats to match. The WRX front seats are pretty easy to fit, but you end up sitting a little too high in them.. this is now on my list of things to fix -- modify the seat rails /mount to lower the seat whilst still retaining the adjustment..

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:50 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks for the input Fellas. Those wrx seats look good Tom, is the height problem mostly to do with the thickness of the seat cushion or is it more the mounting brackets? Is there much difference in the thickness of the cushion between the mx5 and wrx seats?
My car will be running an auto and standard width tires so not a big performer but I really want it to be comfy for me and more so the mrs.

Mick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 pm 

I don't have the mx5 seats anymore to compare, but i would say they'd be slightly less cushion than the wrx seats.

They were pretty comfy. Might not be so good if you've got a bigger frame though..

I reckon i bought them from a wrecker for $135 for the pair. I just pulled the old seats out and had a look at the rail set up (sort of a bar across the front, the inside bolts to the tunnel and the outside bolts through the floor) and then went wandering around a wrecker till i found something that looked like it might fit..

Just go have a look..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:53 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If comfort is what you are after your a cruiser I can highly recommend second-generation 200B seats as being extremely comfortable. I can't comment on how well the fit or what they're like in a 1600 though but this car here has them: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14536

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 pm 

I just chucked a pair of 200b seats on the scrap pile that where fitted to my 1600 wagon when I bought it.
So they definitely fit, the mounts in mine where exceptionally dodgy though

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:39 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Subaru WRX STI GDB model seats are a good choice. They are not as wide as the original Datsun buckets and can be installed without cutting out the Datsun front bulkhead/web where OEM seats mount. Note that together this bulkhead/web and the doubler plate a little further back (integrated into the floor) are both important to structural integrity of the vehicle: they distribute stresses across floor, and two structural elements that importantly add strength and stiffness to the vehicle, they being the transmission tunnel and outer sill box section. The bulkhead/web should NOT be removed, as this will weaken the vehicle. Retaining the bulkhead/web and utilising the other OEM seat mounting holes and seat belt mounting points, albeit with some modification, makes the less likely to unfavourably attract the attention of engineering certifier or vehicle inspectors.

I wanted seats that gave greater front-to-rear adjustment than the originals, they had to be firm and comfortable, driver side height had to be adjustable, and had good bolsters for lateral support. Installing these turned out to be something of a chore, but the final result was seriously well worth the effort. I know that going to this much trouble will not be for everyone, but if you choose to do something similar, reading this posting may save time and headaches.

The seats provide same seating height as originals, though you are unlikely to be able to remember what the original seat height was when your Datto 1600 was new, because the old springs in the Datto seats would have have long since sagged. Seating position of the installed STI seats seems higher, but it is not.

The approach involved trimming down three of the four corner mounting brackets, but not the inboard rear. The inboard rear one was retained because this is particularly strong and Subaru deliberately integrated the seat belt mounting into the seat. In my case, I am using the original Datsun floor attachment point for the inboard rear seat mounting point as well as to attach the Subaru seat. After trimming the Subaru mounting brackets (and enlarging a hole in the inboard rear one), 16mm CrMo tubes were welded front and rear to ensure seat rails would be fixed together, and located relative to each other. Note that without these tubes it is hard to get exactly the right spacing between rails, and it makes the whole installation stiffer and stronger.

One bracket for the outboard attachment off the seat to the car had to be fabricated and another for the inboard rear attachment. From an engineering viewpoint it is important to retain the Subaru OEM brackets with as little modification as possible, particularly as they are riveted onto the rails. It is practical to weld to the riveted-on brackets without affecting the rails. Note that riveting is used here because it is stronger and more reliable than welding and allows for steels that are easy to weld to be attached to others that may not be so easily welded or may need pre- or post-weld heating or some other special treatment. In the case of three of the four Subaru OEM mounting brackets, where these were cut down, a steel tab with a bolt through it was welded on to facilitate the seat being attached to the vehicle. All the welding described involved steel parts that could be readily welded without causing problems. Photos tell most of the story.

Details of passenger side are shown. The driver's side is similar, though the height adjusting mechanism makes things a little more complicated. In the case of the passenger side it is very easy to unbolt the rails from the seat and do the fabrication and welding, and do the test fitting without trying to wrestle with the whole seat. However, this was not so easy for the driver's side, so the passenger's side became the test case and when completed it was a matter of replicating the modification for the driver's side. All welds were done carefully with a MIG, but because the driver's side the rails remained bolted to the seat, and a wet towel was carefully located to protect the fabric and foam padding. This ensured that my seats didn't end up looking like Chinese New Year fireworks.

Attachments:
File comment: Inboard rear mount of Subaru WRX seat is retained. Tube in the left hand side of the photo has been fitted to connect outboard and inboard rails. The hole in the centre of the photo is used to attached the seat to the inboard rear fixing bracket, via a high tensile M12 bolt. In turn the bracket (not shown) attaches to the original Datsun seat belt mounting point and one of the Datsun seat inboard Datsun rear mounting bolt holes
[ attachment ]
OEM Subaru Inboard Mount.png [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
File comment: A bolt is welded to a piece of flat steel and this is then welded to the cut down bracket on the Subaru WRX seat rail
[ attachment ]
Mounting Tab, Fixing Bolt and Cross Tube Welded to OEM Rivetted Bracket.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
File comment: This bracket is fabricated out of a piece of tube with three tabs for bolts. The one in the middle has a captive M12 nut which is on the side closest to the transmission tunnel
[ attachment ]
Inboard Rear Fixing Bracket.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
File comment: This bracket is made out of square section steel tube and an angle. This allows (modified) original mountings to be used.
[ attachment ]
Outboard Fixing Bracket and Attachment to Chassis.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
File comment: This is the front left seat rail assembly with cross tubes fitted front and rear. Inboard rear fixing bracket is not installed in this view.
[ attachment ]
Front Left General Fixing Arrangement - less Seat Belt Mount Bracket.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
File comment: Seats are installed secure and strong: no problems with getting this engineered, which is a legal requirement in most or all States and Territories. For the weight conscious, taking into account bits that were trimmed off, less than 1kg was added to the total weight of each seat.
[ attachment ]
Seats Installed.jpg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 5617 times ]

Last edited by AlanDatsomefun on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:43 am, edited 12 times in total.