Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Hatchmans 1600 Build
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:52 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Did you end up using the 76 deg cam?

Also where did you get your dizzy modified?? I'm Looking to do some work to my s2 bluebird dizzy for my engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 am 

I have got a fully rebuild, competition modified and regraphed series 2 dizzy from performance ignitions if you guys want. Never used
Its $250, originally cost $420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:58 pm 

Nad015 wrote:
Did you end up using the 76 deg cam?

Also where did you get your dizzy modified?? I'm Looking to do some work to my s2 bluebird dizzy for my engine.
Yep the 76 cam was in the build and my dizzy got mine done at Performance Ignitions in Nunawading. Good to deal with and very quick, they rebuilt my S2 in a couple of hours

I'll pick up the engine next Thursday and will get all the specs and details then

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:42 pm 

It's been a bit of a wait although it really hasn't been an issue as we're not ready to put it in the car yet but we have now finally picked up our rebuilt L20B.

Here she is hanging on the engine crane after we got it home, we had to go to Frankston Bolt Centre in Hartnett Drive to get new bolts for the engine stand as the one we bought won't work out of the box with the L Series. The jury is out on the rocker cover, I really want the one we have with "Datsun 1600" stamped on it so we'll probably repllace it

[ img ]

Here is the sheet with the numbers from the engine dyno

[ img ]

Max Torque of 150Nm is achieved at 4500rpm and from there it stays relatively flat till it drops away around 6000rpm
Max Power is 169.6 horsepower or about 126kw achieved at 6250 rpm

The max torque figure is what I am really happy about, it should mean pretty decent in-gear acceleration with a good kick in power if you wind it out.

Main specs of the motor are

- 76 degree cam
- Custom fabricated and enlarged sump with internal baffles
- Bigger valves and ports
- new springs, rockers, lash pads etc...
- Re-graphed Bluebird s@ dizzy
- Fly cut flat top pistons
- New rods, bearinngs etc..
- Extractors
- more stuff I can't remember!

Pretty much everything is new with the exception of the block and the head of course. The Webers I originally bought in good faith off gumtree were totally screwed. Apparently the ming mong that had them tightened the idle screws so hard he bent them - not to mention the corrosion. The engine dyno guy said he spent a solid day trying to get them to work but once they started belching out flames from the trumpets he called it quits! So on went some new 45 DCOE's and they had it finished pretty quick. I like the linkage setup too, I wasn't keen on getting that big rod that other setups use (not sure which is better though!)

On the trailer with all the bits from the Frankenturbo motor to head home

[ img ]

[ img ]

Z22 crank from the turbo, I might hang onto this as we're thinking of rebuilding our other 1600 which currently has the L18 in it

[ img ]

This is the head from the turbo motor which the builder told me is actually bent.

[ img ]

It's had a bit of custom work done over the journey too, probably no good anymore unless you can straighten it?

[ img ]

So next steps are to put the new clutch on, get it in the car, bolt it up to the gearbox, put the oil pressure thingy on, run all the fuel lines, hook up a fuel pressure guage and then see if we can get it going - although I reckon we may defer the last tricky parts to APS in Frankston, especially considering they have a dyno and it's going to need a run on that in case there are any final adjustments we need doing

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:21 pm 

Motor looks fantastic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:57 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

169.6 horsepower, I reckon your allowed to call it 170 horsepower :thumbsup:
You must be stoked with that.
I'm surprised they built it with a 76 cam though, not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm running one in my engine and everyone tried to steer me away from using it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:27 pm 

Nad015 wrote:
169.6 horsepower, I reckon your allowed to call it 170 horsepower :thumbsup:
You must be stoked with that.
I'm surprised they built it with a 76 cam though, not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm running one in my engine and everyone tried to steer me away from using it.
Yeah I had got advice that 72 was generally the norm with 74 for more extreme cases, but these guys have built these engines before and this is what they recommended so I was happy to take their advice on it. Guess we'll see how it goes when it's all bolted up :D

I teased out the idea of getting them to rebuild the L18 on the other Datto we have with the suck through turbo, but they didn't like the sound of it, reckon if I was going the turbo route I should go with an SR20 - but that's not going to happen :)

They also recommended I get an air box for the Webers, Bits of Italy make them and they reckon it would be good for a bit more torque. $500 though for one, think I'll put that one in the "nice to have" basket for now.

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:31 pm 

Wow, looks great!

I've always wanted to do a laser-cut, folded heat shield mounted from the exhaust studs.. just an idea that might be cheaper if you could measure up yourself..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 pm 

toms_bluebird wrote:
Wow, looks great!

I've always wanted to do a laser-cut, folded heat shield mounted from the exhaust studs.. just an idea that might be cheaper if you could measure up yourself..
I had thought of doing that. I bought this book a year or so ago

[ img ]

And one of the engine photos has that modification which would definitely make a difference.

I reckon we'll look at this and the other options once the car is up and running for sure

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 pm 

So we decided that the exhaust headers needed something done to them. They look good at the moment but once they start getting used they'll discolor a bit.

So we decided to get them ceramic coated with an aluminium style finish. Dad took a drive out to Leongatha and I would have to admit the bloke we used out there did a good job

[ img ]

Got a bunch of stuff back from the chromers as well. There was a fair bit so here are some pics

Washer bottle holder

[ img ]

Guard badges

[ img ]

Wiper brackets

[ img ]

Wiper motor

[ img ]

Even the towbar :) Not going to run the risk of some dipshit backing into it and denting the bumper after going to this much hassle for an old Datto!

[ img ]

And our engine builder managed to lose one of the flywheel bolts. A little bit annoying to say the least but thankfully one of Dad's mate has heaps of them lying around so he gave us five of them

The one with the M came out of the L20B, the one with "1 3 T" on it he gave us - got me stuffed what the difference is though....

[ img ]

Another of Dad's mates used to be a mechanic and he has offered to come and torque the bolts up and mount the new clutch to the flywheel and engine plate. This should happen soon - and it saves us needing to buy a torque wrench for now!

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 pm 

Quick update, flywheel and clutch are now mounted and the venetians for the rear window got delivered last night

More pics in a couple of weeks - just need to find the time to get the motor back in now

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:57 pm 

Venetians arrived last week and a new set of taillight rubbers

[ img ]

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm 

I'm lovin' the look of this thing Hatchman. The L series looks nice and tough and should sound the goods too. Bet you can't wait to see it sitting back in the engine bay.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:18 am 

That motor is just sex! Loving the colours. Looking forward to hearing this beast :)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 am 

Thanks fellas :thumbsup:

We're going to try and put the motor in tomorrow. I stuffed my back at the gym this week (getting old!) so it'll be a slow and steady job but we should be right

1971 Datsun 1600
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan