Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 am 

Hi all,
Would anyone in Melbourne town be willing to help me out with fitting a reconditioned head and new head gasket?
My head gasket's leaking and I lack the tools and space (and confidence) to tackle it with just the manual for company.
A reco head is about the same price as refurbish mine and getting it machined, so I figured if I gathered the parts someone out there might be willing to give us a hand one weekend in exchange for a carton or two.
Anyone feeling helpful?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 am 

Honestly if u sit there with the book and follow it, its easy. Im sure if u get into any trouble someone on here or datsun1200.com will help u out. Smartest thing with a series is undoing the head with the inlet and exhaust still on, bolt your new head on (making sure push rods stay where they are) and make sure u unbolt and bolt up the head in stages and sequence as the book will tell u, adjust your rockers (again people here can help) and transfer the old manifolds on the new bolted down head. U can put the manidlfolds on the head b4 u put it back on aswel. If your going to learn engines the a series is perfect to learn on

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:19 pm 

Thanks mate,
My main issue is tools and space. We moved down from Wagga into a little unit and we don't have a garage, so I cleared out most of my tools. I've got some basic hand tools but don't have a torque wrench.
I'm working on the car out the front of the unit and our landlord lives next door and gets pissy about me working on it on communal space. (I copped it worse from the wife when I rebuilt the carby in the kitchen!)
I've done plenty of stuff in cars before but never had to pull the head off. It seems silly, but pulling down a motor on a car seems a lot more intimidating than a motorbike, where if I **** it up I can carry the thing in to get fixed.