Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:21 pm 

Hey guys. I am looking to get some feedback on the ideas of venting the standard 1600 bonnet or looking into getting a fibreglass/carbon one and having vents installed into that.

Reason being, the standard bracing on the 1600 bonnets is a little inconvenient for where the majority of the heat will be in the engine bay for me.

Is there a "local" mob around that do the fibreglass bonnets that are any good? I have been hunting but keep getting taken to Aussie Muscle Car or Futofab...

Any other decent options??

The kind of vent i am thinking i want is something like the photo attached. It is BIG but, the flush mounts in this same/similar design are not abundant. Flush mount style similar to the Mitsubishi Evo7-9 style vent.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
vent.JPG [ 109.41 KiB | Viewed 6179 times ]
In conjunction with this one, a couple smaller vents a little further back would help vent the heat too i think. Something like the ones below.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1670842.jpg [ 23.75 KiB | Viewed 6179 times ]
Thoughts and ideas??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:00 pm 

Unless you're going to be racing and have a sealed under body, don't ruin the classic lines. With your fan pulling air from the radiator it'll vent under the car.

Guys that race these with SR20SET's in IPRA don't bother with hood vents and have no problems.

Jordan

Current Rolling stock: 2000 model ST215 Caldina, CAA22 celica (race,) RT40 corona (cruiser)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 pm 

I'd love to get my bonnet louvered, like the old hot rods. Wouldn't be cheap though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:27 pm 

RE: Standard Lines -- Yeah I know, These cars have a really lovely shape and it'd be a shame to put big lumpy vents on the bonnet but, the efficiency of cooling underneath the car... Not too great at idle. While moving, pretty much all cars are great. At idle... no air being forced in by forward motion... turns to an oven pretty quick.

I want to avoid putting the hideous "drift style" vents in the bonnet of a classic little 510 but... for lack of better options...

RE: Louvers -- This is pretty much EXACTLY what i am wanting to do as a preference. That lets me keep the standard shape AND get some venting at standing - high speeds. It also has the added benefit of strengthening the bonnet further. I have been thinking more and more about the idea today and a chat to the local panel beating whiz might be the next logical step. See if it is a viable option and an approximate cost for the deal.

I will see what I come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 pm 

The amount of datsuns with big motors and big turbo's and dont have vents should be proof enough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 pm 

sutho510 wrote:
The amount of datsuns with big motors and big turbo's and dont have vents should be proof enough
Proof? That I don't need them? Sure. Aside from the aesthetics though, which is a fairly personal thing, what's the harm? The precaution of installing some bonnet vents is not going to hurt the car or the cooling of the engine bay.

There are plenty of hard ways to do things, there are also plenty of methods around to make those hard jobs, easier. Vents would just be a helping hand i guess...

If the idea is going to cost me my first born son, I'll abandon it but if it is a reasonable price tag... I will probably consider it. I was primarily looking to see if someone here has gone through the process already.

I would like nothing more than the exterior of the car to be "subtle" once i am finished... anything else is not how i do things.

For example, This is an Mazda 808 i restored/improved a fair few years ago. Since sold.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
washed.jpg [ 122.7 KiB | Viewed 6114 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 am 

You can lift the rear of the bonnet by putting spacers between the hinges and bonnet, this will let heat out at idle but probably won't do much at speed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:06 pm 

Raising the rear of the bonnet is a option but, not the greatest one. Pretty fair chance the PoPo will clue in on the car pretty well as soon as it is on the road. Having the bonnet unable to 'seal' will probably raise some added questions. I am not too sure if there is a legal issue with that idea.

It'd definitely be the cheapest out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm 

I have been pulled over plenty of times in my S14 which had the rear of the bonnet spaced up approx 3/4 inch. Cops never said anything about it..... In saying that they were already having too much fun defecting me for everything else!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am 

At the end of the day it's your car, so ideally you can do what you want with it. Haters going to hate?
Aside from needing to vent or not, I think Anths' suggestion of having some louvres on the top would look pretty good.
You need to speak to a coach builder with some good sheet metal skilz, who can make something up for you and you can either fit it yourself (bolt on) or they cut up your nice bonnet and weld it in.
I don't know of any fibreglass add-ons, but I'm sure some others on here would be able to suggest something?
Perhaps the Subi style bonnet scoop :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 am 

For the louvers your best bet would be to go to a hot rod shop or builder, they'll have the die on a press. You might need to remove the bracing from the bonnet so it's just the skin (if you want a certain pattern/placement), otherwise they'll just do them in between the bracing.

[ img ]

Actually, don't do it, because I want to now :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:04 am 

HAhahahah... That's the way they do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

As mentioned, just find a hotrod or body shop that has the gear.

I did a training course at a classic car restoration shop in Melbourne that had the equipment like in the photo above and we knocked out a few louvres in some scrap sheet. It honestly took less than a minute to punch out half a dozen louvres, just line the panel up in the machine, press the foot-operated switch and there's one louvre done. Move panel, repeat, etc and you're done.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm 

Hmm, anyone know if you can buy the actual attachment or fitting? A name of the fitting?

My friend has a cool hydraulic press machine that I might be able to fit it to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:21 pm 

Google "louvre die" and you'll get a few results. Doesn't look cheap, though.