Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:32 am 

I'm finally going to fix the gearbox in the datto, what's the easy way to do it? haha it's tight everywhere will loosening off crossmember bolts to drop it down be enough or is it an engine out job? Share your experiences please!

Cheers
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:00 pm 

Can def be removed without pulling out the engine also. You will just need to ensure you have some extra hands on deck due to the limited horizontal working area, and the critical thing is the ability to be able to raise your car high enough. In the past i have used some nice thick pieces of hard wood which are approx 200mm in height and laid them on the ground. I put the jack stands on these which give you a significant higher worker space. You need to make sure that if you do it this way that the wood is twice the footprint of the jack stands for stability.
Im sure there are other ways, but this is the cheapest safest way ive done it in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:09 pm 

I know it's not SR, but when I removed the FJ box from my car at my mechanics, I used a massive extension on the ratchet to un-do the top gearbox bolts. Extension would have been as long as the box!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 pm 

It'll be on a hoist so height will be all good, i just wondered if there was room to remove the box? did either of you guys need to remove radiator etc or drop or loosen the engine crossmember?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:37 pm 

Leave the engine in and lower the crossmember like you said you may also have to jack the front of the engine abit aswell also remove the gearstick first by undoing the big circlip

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:40 pm 

I did mine with a mate and it had a twin plate clutch so the box was further back in the tunnel to slide on was a bastard job but got done

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:11 pm 

LAG_510 wrote:
I'm finally going to fix the gearbox in the datto, what's the easy way to do it? haha it's tight everywhere will loosening off crossmember bolts to drop it down be enough or is it an engine out job? Share your experiences please!

Yep. when i did mine, i lowered the engine crossmember. I put longer bolts in so the crossmember could hang down a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:57 pm 

Remove top radiator hose, it will get stretched, as motor tilts back on mounts, which have enough flex in them.
A piece of wood/ply between rocker cover and firewall is an dea.
And yes, articulated jointed long long extension sockets set helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 am 

thanks fellas, went well all things considered. hoist, trans jack and multiple hands always make things easier! slightly longer bolts and it came out pretty easy, rad was out due to my hoses being quite short and getting the 4 inch exhaust out around the twin gates was a bit of a nightmare but its all done now

ended up fitting an rb20 box with my sr bellhousing. same box but slightly shorter and puts the shifter about 75mm further forward which is actually ideal. needs a 55mm tailshaft spacer for now until i do the gtr box upgrade :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 am 

Great to hear. What gtr box are you useing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm 

its not in there currently, but i have one out of an r33 v spec that will one day find its way in there