Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Removing 610 heater core
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:36 pm 

Hi all,

WTF is doin with these heater cores??? How do yI get it out? are they the same as 510?

As the 610 is in pieces, I thought it might be a good ides to replace the heater hoses in the cabin and check the tap... But I have no frea kin idea where to start? Can someone assist in the process

I'm finding it difficult to know what is connected to what and I don't what to wreck anything in the process or removal by forgetting a screw or a bolt

Cheers

Datsun 610/180B SSS FJ22 700 rwhp on E85
Datsun 810/200B SSS FJ20 (current build)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 pm 

There a bit of a pain to do but here's how,

First remove the hoses and the plate with the grommet from the firewall (engine bay), you will need to take out the air box and ducts from under the dash, First slide the main duct and the demister ducts off, pop the clip off the cable on the air box (passenger side), it comes out with one 10MM bolt. Now you will need to pop off all the clips that hold the cables to the heater box and slide the cables off and also unplug the two wire connections to it, there are two 10MM bolts (one each side) of the heater box that bolt it to the firewall and one big long one at the top that the box hangs off (another 10MM bolt that undoes from the passenger side). Now it will slide down into the passenger footwell but first tape up the outlets that stick into the engine bay so you don't get coolant inside your car. Now that you have it out pop off the clips on the front panel of the box ( there will also be 1 or 2 small screws on the drivers side of it that hold the front panel on). take off all the water hoses, heater tap sits at the back of the box (there will be some small screws that hold it on aswell as another bracket). Now slide the heater core out, take note of the two foam insulators on each side and you should be all good.

Hope that helped, I did this on my 180B SSS 3 times due to being stuffed around, also the weird shaped bent hose that goes from the front of the heater core to around the back of the box is not available so you can use a VN commodore heater hose and bend it so the end points in the right direction.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 pm 

Dat1200

You are awsome!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:17 am 

No worries, Glad I could help :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:07 pm 

Mine came out easy enough. Hope your tap's OK, I haven't been able to find a replacement. Because I wasn't fussed with mine, I installed a ball valve in it's place, but obviously the cable's not connected anymore, so you need to decide before the start of the trip if you want the heater or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:20 am 

OMG what a sh*tfight that was...

Dat1200 your instructions were spot on, I would have had alot of trouble without them

Thanks again

Anyways I replaced all the hoses using a 90 deg brass fitting i had laying around and checked the tap. Woohoo no more coolant leaking in the cabin!

Boyracer - you had me worried because I didnt want to take it all apart then realize the tap is stuffed. Fortunately the tap looks ok. It opens and closes and the guts of it look fine. As to how good it seals I have no idea lol. its back in now tough and wont be coming out any time soon.

Cheers