Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: 411 Wagon you say
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:56 pm 

Can confirm that a J15 sump from a Datsun 620 is different to a J13 and won't fit a P411 :x

Anyone know of anyone pulling a J13 out of their Datsun 410/411 that would separate a sump before I get the grinder out?

Also, the 4 speed column shift is probably going to need some tunnel mods and small trimming of the lip on the bellhousing, need to get the sump off first to check properly. Dammit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 pm 

Managed to rig up a ghetto engine crane to get this motor high enough to remove the sump, which then allowed it to be dropped down onto the engine mounts. Currently has a jack holding the gearbag up, but I'll have to replace that with a jackstand tonight.

[ img ]

Really happy to get to this stage, as I can now get out there with the tape measure and measure up what i need to cut out of the sump to clear the steering and the front crossmember.

Once the sump is done, onto the gearbox mount, bolt on the accessories on the motor and do some adjustments and see if it starts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 am 

Started measuring the sump on the easter weekend. Then got the trusty angle grinder out, oil capacity is reduced by at least a litre, but to be honest from the pictures I have seen the J13 engines had very small sumps, and the J15 one looked overly large, so not to concerned with the shrinking of the sump, time will tell.

With cutting the sump, I had to section the rear to clear the steering drag link, then cut a big section out of the front of the sump to clear the huge crossmember in these things. I could have put a bulge in the front of it to get an extra 200ml, but decided to try and minimize welding at this stage and just focus on getting the car running.

It's tacked with a mig, but I'll go back and trim it up with a grinder then use my friends TIG to finish it hopefully.

[ img ]
[ img ]

Not much left, needed to retain the sump plug so after measuring I found the best way was to cut the whole section out and move it backwards.
[ img ]
[ img ]

The parts to weld in
[ img ]
[ img ]

Mostly tacked together, the last section needs some trimming, decided to leave the baffle there for the moment.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:24 pm 

Ran out of time to complete the modified sump although it was 90% there. Finally convinced the gentleman i bought the engine mounts off to sell me his original J13 sump, slapped it on and dropped the motor back in.

Looks like the original J13 gearbox crossmember might actually work with a few small mods, so hoping to have that sorted by end of the week as well as the column shift linkages moved over and back into the car.

Have been investigating some MG parts like exhaust studs and thermostat housing studs as I'm missing a large washer and exhaust stud, should have those by the end of the week then the motor will be largely complete.

[ img ]

To do List

- Gearbox mount
- Column shift linkages installed.
- Crank pulley installed.
- Dizzy sorted out for firing order etc (and extra leads purchased if I can't find the last 2).
- Sort out water temp bungs and any oil temp/level sensors
- Install Water pump
- Reassemble Alternator (preferably with new bearings), or purchase replacement.
- Fit rocket cover gasket.

That should be enough to actually test a start up.

Below to finish
- Sort out water piping etc for heater taps (if heater works).
- Radiator (hoping the 510 one fits with bonnet on).
- Check fuel tank which is probably rusted - repair.
- New speedo cable.
- New Clutch slave & flexible line.
- New or reconditioned brake master (single circuit), and rebuild/replace drum cylinders.
- Get tailshaft made with correct yoke and length.
- Probably a bunch of other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 pm 

Nice work Martin!
Any chance of starting a thread on your 1600?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am 

TD.711 wrote:
Nice work Martin!
Any chance of starting a thread on your 1600?
Hey Tim, certainly will after I get this bad boy running. Got plenty of mods for the 1600 to post about (ecu, precision turbo, wideband, some form or Water Injection or spray), but want to get this thing running first :)

Have completed a few tasks.

To do List

- Gearbox mount - Half done, hoping to have completed this week
- Column shift linkages installed.
- Crank pulley installed. - Completed
- Dizzy sorted out for firing order etc (and extra leads purchased if I can't find the last 2).
- Sort out water temp bungs and any oil temp/level sensors - Completed
- Install Water pump - Completed
- Reassemble Alternator (preferably with new bearings), or purchase replacement.
- Fit rocket cover gasket.

Close to a potential startup up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:47 pm 

So another year and a half has past. This neglected ugly duckling has been getting pushed down the priority list.

Anyway after finishing a precision turbo upgrade on my fj20 1600, a parts car came up on facebook for a reasonable price, so I grabbed with the idea it could supply the parts required to make this car go again.

So here is said parts car, it's a 1964 sedan with a E series engine;

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The kid I bought it off reckons he had it running & had driven it recently, but I have serious doubts, they also had go halfway through unbolting the diff for some reason (I didn't know this until I arrived at night to collect), so it made getting it on the trailer very difficult, but we eventually go there.

[ img ]

As you can see, it's pretty far gone (but I may repair it one day..)

[ img ]

####################

Back to the build, the 4 speed column shift is a lot larger physically, so would have required the tunnel to be cut to fit, something I wasn't keen to do just yet as a motorbike engine conversion may come later.

So the new donor car had the same 3 speed column shift manual gearbox that my wagon came with, along with all the bits and pieces I have been missing like radiator and engine fan, bolts and lots of bits and pieces.

I got the engine and box out of the sedan;

[ img ]

My neighbour kindly delivered it down my driveway
[ img ]

The clutch on the E series is the same as the J13. J13 & J15 flywheels/clutches are different, so I pulled the complete assembly off the E series and I'm happy to report it bolts onto the J15

[ img ]

Gearbox needed a clean, so I used some degreaser and some a gurnie and did an average job;

[ img ]
[ img ]

Bolted up gearbox and installed

[ img ]
[ img ]

Have been chipping away at tasks over the last week, and if this thing gets spark it might actually start sometime in the next couple of weeks.

If it does, then it's onto the brakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:41 pm 

Nice work!
Bozo510 wrote:
If it does, then it's onto the brakies.
I'm glad to hear.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 pm 

Hezath wrote:
Nice work!
Bozo510 wrote:
If it does, then it's onto the brakies.
I'm glad to hear.
If I attempted a burnout in this thing and broke something I think I'd cry. Not easy finding bits for a 50 year old unpopular shitbox!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am 

I felt the same hesitance towards dropping the clutch in the 230 wagon after I put the LSD in and it actually had grip. But I did it anyway, and it felt good.

Actually it felt like the most un-graceful hooning anyone had ever seen with a million turns of the steering wheel to counter steer, tyres grabbing arches at full lock, and the body rolling more than one would expect possible due to the perceived absence of actual suspension travel when driving normally.

Alas, I continued without regret or real damage lol

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:23 pm 

Your gearbox would be sizeable though! Mine is a matchstick haha.

Progress has been slowed the last 3 days due to the after hours work. But i have got this stuff done prior;

- Tailshaft in
- Radiator in
- Water pump fan on
- Got started on Alternator but the top bolt snapped in the aluminum thread, so I'll need to try and get that out.
- Sourced a earth cable because the car didn't come with one.

If I can get an alternator on and finish the wiring plus add oils, should be good to try and kick over with a coke bottle fuel tank setup.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:04 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The old coke bottle fuel tank works wonders. Car is looking good. I am looking forward to seeing this finally running!

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:40 am 

Didn't have enough fuel hose for the coke bottle setup, so just poured fuel down the carby. Exhaust not connected, but still happy with the result.

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:48 pm 

Looking like she'll crank over. did you add more fuel to see? Lot of work going on here Martin! Good stuff.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm 

RJB510 wrote:
Looking like she'll crank over. did you add more fuel to see? Lot of work going on here Martin! Good stuff.
Thanks mate, can see the finish line now so just chipping away.

Need to reinstall Dizzy as I think it's the timing stopping it from running to be honest.

Ran out of time on the weekend but have been doing other tasks on it,

- Fan belt installed
-Heater blanks installed into head and water pump
Sorted out the alternator bracket
- Installed new fuel pump as i got a new one with the engine
- Ran fuel lines from carb to fuel pump and fuel pump to jerry can.
- Bought a new thermostat today so will install that in the coming days then it will be ready to get filled up with coolant and hopefully get timing sorted and bring it up to temperature.

Then onto brakes, check out the fuel tank which is no doubt rusty as hell etc etc.