Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 am 

Hi guys, not sure if this should be in driveline or suspension..

My brother just bought a 1600 wagon which we have big plans for, I used to have a 1600 so I'm alright with the front end stuff, but new to the live axle rear end of the wagon.

I've done a lot of research (and yes searched these forums too) but not found anything concrete yet, can someone please shed some light? Need's to be able to handle plenty of grunt.

It looks like the go-to upgrade is an R31 or Hilux diff cut down, which means you retain the leaf springs. Is this the general consensus?

Has anyone put a complete S13 rear subframe conversion in a wagon? Seems to me that this would ultimately handle the power and handle better in general to the live axle/leaf sprung rear. And also give better options for shocks, brakes, diff centres etc.. Does anyone know if this would increase the track much? We want to fit fat wheels too.

I read somewhere that "Graeme" Had put IRS in a wagon? Has anyone got a link to the thread for me? Can't find anything.

Would the standard shock towers need beefing up to take the weight if we went down this path? I think ultimately we will be looking to get the car engineered too.

Thanks guys,

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:02 pm 

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Graeme is Graeme Harlor, he founded the Sydney Datsun Club. I believe he narrowed the cradle and made custom cv's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 pm 

Thanks for the pics mate, that's awesome! Is Graeme on here? Or have you got his email so I can fire him a few questions about it? Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm 

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/memberlist.p ... ile&u=3076

He should get PM notification, but if you don't have any luck let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:29 am 

Thanks mate, will do :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:11 am 

Can't remember the name of the company/business, but there's someone in Australia putting an S15 rear end into a 1600, not a wagon though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 am 

Thanks Anth, and idea if the mounting points are the same in the wagon as the sedan?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 am 

I doubt it since the wagons have live axle and sedans are IRS, would be quite different I assume. But at least it can be made to fit the width of the car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:48 am 

Ok guys I've ruled out the S13 conversion for a few reasons and decided to go R31 rear diff.

From a bit of research I've found that only the GTS and Silhouette models came with an LSD centre,

I would assume you can fit an aftermarket LSD centre (kaaz etc) to a standard rear housing? Ie if I cant find a GTS or Silhouette diff.

Can anyone confirm this?

Or on the cheaper side of things, can a standard non LSD centre be shimmed? Or is that only on LSD models? (I did this in my 180sx to great effect)

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:06 pm 

I'd also look at a hilux rear end. The widths are similar and from what I'm told a lot better LSD design than the ageing R31.

One of the guys in my club runs one, I don't think it even needed narrowing, just a correctly offset rim on the rear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:30 pm 

Thanks mate,

I had opted for the R31 due to parts availability, I think it shares the same centre as a whole heap of falcons, commodores etc etc.

Re not shortening, we want to run aggressive offsets so shortening will be a neccessity :thumbsup:

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:31 pm 

G'Day,
I did the R31 rear conversion to my 510 wagon many years ago.
I bought an open center complete rear end including brakes etc for peanuts from a wrecker.
Jeff Shoesmith's old man shortened the housing & axles for me and I did the rest.
It sits on the factory leafs (with an extra one added) with bigger u-bolts.
It's done heaps of k's since (including a bit of track work) without any issues.
Biggest head-ache was getting handbrake sorted out. The whole conversion was very cost effective for what you end up with.
At the time I weighed up the R31 vs Hilux dilema...for me the R31 got the nod because I really wanted rear disc brakes AND the R31 had the same wheelbolt pattern so my fancy wheels went straight on.
AIUI, The Hilux rear has different stud pattern & drums.
Hope this helps, feel free to msg me if you want more info...

Oh, I should add, this conversion is still no where near as good (performance wise) as what Graeme did...but when I spoke to him about it (again, years ago) he said the whole job was a huge pain the butt & he wouldn't do it again or recommend it... It was hundreds & hundreds of man-hours.

I have also searched & researched options for the wagon rear end over the years & I honestly believe the best set up for street/track/whatever would be the R31 diff with a fourlink (straight or triangulated) and custom coilovers. It wouldn't be impossible if you have moderate-to-advanced fab skills.

Some guys here and o'seas have fitted the sedan rear end to the wagon but in my opinion the IRS in the sedan, arguably, requires almost as much work to tune as a wagon rear end conversion...
The problem for us "wagonistas" is that all the off-the-shelf bolt on upgrades for 510's are sedan only.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:33 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

chris1818 wrote:
Thanks mate,

I had opted for the R31 due to parts availability, I think it shares the same centre as a whole heap of falcons, commodores etc etc.

Re not shortening, we want to run aggressive offsets so shortening will be a neccessity :thumbsup:

Chris
Parts availability for Hilux diffs would far surpass the R31 diff. Plenty of ratios and centres available. Don't bother with a Hilux LSD though, they're a really bad design. Go straight for a Trutrac centre.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.