Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 am 

Cheers Lampy,
I know the ins and outs of turbocharging mechanical diesels.

I just finished stage one on my TD42 GQ patrol with a TD05 16G.
Currently working on the airbox and snorkel but as it is my daily I have just slapped a pod filter on it for now and a bodged up crossover pipe.
I made a full 3 inch exhaust for it when I fitted the turbo.

I have added a 1/4 turn of fuel and the max egt I have seen is 660 pre turbo with the trailer hooked up and AC running on a 42C day. That was WOT for about 50 seconds climbing a long steep hill at 100kmh.
I am seeing 12psi and it has a 1 bar wastegate spring in it. I am thinking a smaller exhaust housing may be in order.

Next step is intercooler and add more fuel/boost but the clutch has screamed enough so that is first priority before I go for more power.

It has completely transformed the car, it no longer struggles to keep up with traffic and it is using about 10% less diesel.
I am seriously considering going to 35's when I next need tyres as the gearing with the 33's is fine at the current power level.

All on a motor with 400,000kms on it.

If the LD20 has the same sort of strength as a petrol L I see no reason not to jam as much boost in to it as possible.
Keeping the fuel up to it will be the issue as long as EGT's stay safe.
The 2lt injector pump might be a good option, I will look in to that

I have heard the LD20 bottom end can handle around 400hp but this seems a little optimistic to me.

Still should not be too hard to make it surprise a few people in a 2wd D21.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
20140125_211855 sml.jpg [ 162.39 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm 

if a stock fj or some other jp motors can do it, a factory nissan diesel with 400hp wont be an issue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:01 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hi guys and gals,

I am sorry to dredge up an old thread but I am just about to pull the trigger on ordering an LD20T-II for one of my 160o's from overseas but I thought, before I do, I would ask around to see if any has, knows of, or knows someone who might know of, an LD20T-II somewhere in Australia?

I recently purchased turbo510's LD20 Series I (ie. the "L-Series" version) but have also been collecting LD20T Series 2 (ie. the "timing belt" version) parts and pieces - I have an almost complete engine all except for the cylinder head, valvetrain, injectors, etc - but everything else including manifolds, turbo, etc. I have sourced a number of complete running LD20T's from overseas (the UAE, Malaysia, etc) but was hoping to round up any unwanted parts, pieces and / or complete engines (running or not) in Australia before having to import these in? I am mainly after the Series 2 parts but will also be very keen to discuss Series I (L-series) parts too.

My plan is to put together a turbo diesel 1600 sedan - I know it has been done a few times in the US and there are a few conversions in Thailand with mainly 620 utes, too. I have been helping some of the 510realm guys in the US with LD20T conversion advice (mainly diesel fuel system related issues) and, because most of my own daily driver (Ford Focus TDCi) and 4WD (Bronco with 7.3 IDI), etc are diesel powered, I would love to do a conversion in one of my own 1600s. Of course, I will document the conversion here for all to see and learn from as well.....

Anyway, any leads or information would be sincerely appreciated....you can PM me, if you prefer.

Thanks in advance!