Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 83 Bluebird Newbie :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:16 pm 

Hi. Newbie here :) I have a 1983 bluebird,stock standard,that will be my restoration project for the next 2 years fingers crossed for my sons leavers dinner. Now for the questions and hopefully help and advise,havent been in the car scene for a long time, so I may sound wither naïve or stupid lol, so please bear with me.

So question 1: I want to go with a carby engine set up. the usual works twin delortos etc.I owned a 1600 with this set up when younger and loved it! .So any advise on best engine choice ,power/reliability wise

question 2 : Is it possibly to sit the IRS set up from a 1600 in this vehicle. Another thing I would love to have in it .
For the bodywork etc , I am going to go along the lines of George furys bluebird,not identical but along those lines with my own personal touches,just to keep it different .Interior will be kept quite stock,except for a revamp of the colour scheme , I would like to put race seats and a half cage in it, but I am unsure of Tasmanias laws and standards now with this, if anyone on here knows of any of the rules/guidelines with fitting to a street legal car,would love feedback on it :)
For the audio side of things, going with an old skool Sony ES system

question 3 : whats a good set of wheels for this model ?

Anyway I hope I can get some help and positive feedback from this post.Looking forward to hear back from anyone regarding my post,any help would be great .Cheers :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think some jap spec 910 bluebirds had IRS, maybe you could convert your live axel to the IRS setup.
Probably hard to find though.
Tokyo-2-u might be able to source it in Japan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:34 pm 

I have done an IRS conversion in one of my Bluebirds. Not too tricky, bit of fab work and thinking but I've done most of the hard work. Few of the bushes are now discontinued unfortunately but I wouldn't let that stop you.

Here's the link to my build thread that has all the information on the IRS swap that I did. I now upgraded to a 4.375 R200 Mech LSD which seems to be a treat. http://aussiebluebirds.com/index.php?topic=3419.195

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun