Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:49 pm 

Hi all
L20 motor just interested has any one tried this to get more torque if so how much of a diffrence ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:15 am 

Count the number of teeth on the sprocket, divide that number by 360 and that will give you the exact number in degrees a full tooth movement would be. I'm told that the a,b and c adjusters are around 2 degrees each and I did try that once and I didn't notice any difference. Also if you do try a full tooth make sure the valves won't hit the piston.

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:24 am 

yellow1600 wrote:
Count the number of teeth on the sprocket, divide that number by 360 and that will give you the exact number in degrees a full tooth movement would be. I'm told that the a,b and c adjusters are around 2 degrees each and I did try that once and I didn't notice any difference. Also if you do try a full tooth make sure the valves won't hit the piston.
Thanks heaps for the reply ,when I built the motor I ran out of cash and used just a standard cam,I've spent enough money on it so might have to find a second hand cam,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:37 pm 
Guru

The first thing you need to do is establish the EXACT tdc of your engine. You will need a tool for this.
It is not uncommon to find the indicator misaligned with the TDC mark on the pulley. 4 degrees will make a huge difference

The holes in the standard sprocket will move the valve timing by 4 degrees.
The 8 hole works sprocket is 3degrees per hole.

L series are very sensitive to valve timing. Having your TDC mark set right is imperative.
Like building a house. If the foundation is not right the house will never be.

http://www.datsport.com/Camshaftspec.html

adz1600 check the back of your cam for a letter stamped on the cam.... It should be a B.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 pm 

Baz wrote:
The first thing you need to do is establish the EXACT tdc of your engine. You will need a tool for this.
It is not uncommon to find the indicator misaligned with the TDC mark on the pulley. 4 degrees will make a huge difference

The holes in the standard sprocket will move the valve timing by 4 degrees.
The 8 hole works sprocket is 3degrees per hole.

L series are very sensitive to valve timing. Having your TDC mark set right is imperative.
Like building a house. If the foundation is not right the house will never be.

http://www.datsport.com/Camshaftspec.html

adz1600 check the back of your cam for a letter stamped on the cam.... It should be a B.
[/
Thanks heaps baz it is a B stamped on the cam,
I have a 8 hole sprocket so I will swap it over and see what change I can get with it I'll let you know
Thanks again