Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 pm 

Hey guy's

Every time I go to the servo and fill up it's a real pain in the arse to get the fuel in, the nozzle keeps clicking and fuel stops flowing. I can eventually find a sweet spot and squeeze gently on the handle to get it to flow more slowly and it will go in. I assumed the fuel was splashing up causing the nozzle to shut off.
For some reason once the fuel tank is full the nozzle shut off mech doesn't work and I get fuel gushing out and tonight I noticed fuel coming down from somewhere near the diff, do these tanks have an overflow around there or something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:09 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

It could be a blocked breather, I chased an issue like this on my RX-2 for ages and found that to be it. Having said that I am lead to believe that these cars were built before it was mandatory for servos to have the auto-shutoff thing (this was well before I was born though). I think even on my 200B I had to hold the nozzle out just a bit to stop it from clicking constantly. Some people have fitted different fuel necks into 1600s, a VS Commodore one rings a bell but do a search. That may well fix the issue.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:14 pm 
Guru

There is a simple vapour vent that is located on top of the tank and any fuel overflow is discharged into the RHS rear chassis rail.
You might need to remove the boot bulkhead panel and check all those hoses are in good order.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply guy's i'll take that panel and have a look. Does the chassis rail have somewhere it would drain out of to the floor?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:43 am 

I find turning the nozzle upside down produces a better filling process, you still need to listen out for when the car is getting full though.

Upgrading to an unleaded filler might also field better results for the overflow issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:27 am 
Guru

The vent tube goes through the boot floor and empties into the chassis rail which also has drain holes in it.
A very agricultural setup but it works.
If you have never serviced those nice soft, clear, plastic tubes, they are probably horrible hard and brittle and extremely yellowed by now :shock:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:27 pm 

I've only owned it for a month or so , but I'll check the hoses this weekend. Cheers for the replies guys ill definitely check that out this weekend when I get some time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:06 pm 
Guru

If I remember, Ill pop the boot on my '71 and take some happy snaps for you :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 pm 

The vapour tubing that is under the rear parcel tray is related to (not surprisingly), vapour not raw fuel. If for some reason the tank got excessively pressurised, then raw fuel could be forced to come out under the car via the vapour system. When filling, the air that is pushed out of the tank by the incoming fuel would normally come out the vent pipe at the top of the tank which in turn connects to the filler neck via a black hose. In standard form, this black hose usually goes hard but does not block. I would be checking if the car has had modifications that could affect this function. This would include checking if a bigger (higher) tank has been fitted. If a higher tank has been fitted, blow back is inevitable because the filler hole in the 'C' pillar is located down quite low.