Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:41 pm 

Im looking to upgrade my stock Datsun r160 to a Subie r160 LSD 4.11.

I am getting lost in all the information i have found online.

My question is what is the easiest conversion? CLSD or VLSD ? Ideally I want to the cheapest/easiest conversion.

The car is a weekender, i don't drive it to hard and prefer a hills run over dropping the clutch at the lights.

Thank you in advance and drive safe.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:19 pm 

Easiest? Find a liberty rx turbo diff. The datto output flanges bolt straight in. These are a clutch pack lsd.
Short of that find yourself a r180 lsd out of a wrx sti and either modify some half shafts or buy some adapters. You will also need too swap the input flange over but the one from your r160 will slide straight on. These will come in clutch pack, suretrac and helical centres and all would be a vast improvement over an open diff. They don't come in 4.1 ratio tho, I've seen them in 4.4, 3.9 and 3.54. They can be picked up for $5-600. I'm running a 3.9 ratio suretrac center in my 1600 with a worked l18 and I think it's great.

Try too steer clear of viscous centres as they wear out over time and then they are no better then the open diff you replaced.

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 am 

http://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Tran ... Public.pdf Check out this list might be helpful in finding a car with the ratio and LSD type you want it even gives you the part number of the diff, it looks like there is quiete a few options in the r160.

From my understanding the type of LSD doesn't have any bearing on how hard the conversion is. So long as your input shafts are the correct spline the diff will bolt in. You would also need to find a way of getting the tailshaft flange to match the new diffs flange as well . (If I'm wrong please on of you datto guru's correct me!)

If you decide to go R180 which is what I'm going to do, you will need the billet input shafts.

I'd say do a bit of reading on the different LSD types available and the different driving characteristics they have and pick what sounds better for your type of driving, from what you have said though, viscous would be fine but I think Clutch type is generally preferred by most people.

Apparently my 1600 has a r160 out of a SSS 200B with a 4.11 ratio, I'm not sure if it has LSD but it spun both wheels the other day in the wet.

There are a few diffs on gumtree at the moment as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:30 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

eskylid_1600 wrote:
From my understanding the type of LSD doesn't have any bearing on how hard the conversion is. So long as your input shafts are the correct spline the diff will bolt in. You would also need to find a way of getting the tailshaft flange to match the new diffs flange as well . (If I'm wrong please on of you datto guru's correct me!)
Correct. Problem is, the only bolt-in solutions are the above-mentioned RX turbo (swap Datsun front flange and output shafts onto it and away you go) and the late-ish Suabru STi R180 by forking out $500 for the "conversion" output shafts.http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=122

WRX diffs are no good, the spline is different, especially the viscous ones (they need a special double-splined shaft to work)

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 am 

Thank you for the help guys! Most helpful... I am think I might hunt for an r180 for the extra strength. 3.9 might be the go if I can't find a 4.11

I will document to conversion when I find something.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:56 am 

It really depends on how much custom work you want to do.

The r160 VLSD can be made to work reasonable, you can disassemble and shim them up to make them tighter. For the shafts you would need the Subaru shafts so you can machine off the spline, then get some water jet cut flanges that match the same face as your half shafts, then press them on and weld.

The same can be applied for the WRX R180 LSD if you don't want to spend the big dollars for those custom input shafts.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:56 pm 

The family business is profile cutting, we have a nice new water jet I could take advantage of! that being said i really don't want to drop touch cash on the conversion. Im now looking at an older Datsun r180 with an open centre and then later down the track putting an LSD into that.

Can anyone confirm that the K stamped datsun r180s are a direct swap ?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:14 pm 

Yep the r180 with the K on the housing are a direct swap, however the 240k shafts might be a tad long and make a bit of noise if you use them as I believe they can bottom how however I ran that exact setup for years without issues (including 240 shafts).

I also believe the r180 K diff has a few options for centre swaps to get them to LSD.....I did hear of someone using the centre (viscous) from a rear diff from a GTiR pulsar in the r180 K diff, the crown wheel requiring a little machining to get the centre to bolt up, unknown whats required to get shafts to work with this combo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 am 

yellow1600 wrote: *
Easiest? Find a liberty rx turbo diff. The datto output flanges bolt straight in. These are a clutch pack lsd.
does anyone know what the subaru part number is for this diff?
and/or what particular model liberty looks like there's quite a few what they call 4th gen liberty turbo diffs on ebay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:49 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Here's a pic of the tag on the back of the diff, the long number appears to be the part number.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
DSCF0725.JPG [ 444.36 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
And as far as I am aware, in Australia the only car it came in is the very early RX turbo, same as in pic below. I got one a few years back by ringing around various Subaru wreckers till I found one, but they aren;t particularly common nowadays.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Subaru_RX_Safari_1986.jpg [ 28.84 KiB | Viewed 2272 times ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:46 pm 

Dave wrote: *
Here's a pic of the tag on the back of the diff, the long number appears to be the part number.

And as far as I am aware, in Australia the only car it came in is the very early RX turbo, same as in pic below. I got one a few years back by ringing around various Subaru wreckers till I found one, but they aren;t particularly common nowadays.

thanks Dave